“Comfortable flight”
Review of American Airlines

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

The pilots and service crew were very courteous and helpful. The flight was on time and also comfortable.

There are newer reviews for American Airlines

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

On July 9, 2017, I booked a non stop round trip flight to visit an 88 yr old relative in WI. I have trouble with my ears so must fly non-stop. I am then driving from Chicago to WI so NEEDED an AM flight to Chicago. I am driving back to Chicago, so NEEDED an evening flight out. I BOOKED THESE FLIGHTS 7 WEEKS AGO for November so got an excellent rate.
Last evening (8-17-17) I was appalled to learn that American Airlines simply changed my flights to a PM flight into Chicago and an AM flight out. Neither flight is a possibility for me and my relative. Their conduct is unacceptable and inexcusable. How dare they just "change our schedule" regardless of taking my payments and booking my flights??? I had to re-book on an airline with non-stop flights at times that I could fly. The result, 7 WEEKS LATER, IS A COST INCREASE OF $80, hours of WASTED TIME, and just sheer aggravation. You can be sure I will not fly AA in the future. It is clear to me that they care only for their own welfare and not that of their customers.
Come to think of it, they are the same airline that cancelled my 9PM flight and left me stranded in Puerto Rico, sitting in a foodless, uncomfortable waiting area until 2AM.
What was I thinking???

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

This has become a no frills airline.I receive a lot better benefits and service on Southwest Airlines. On American, there is no leg room in between seats, no drinks or snacks on short flights (we were tossed a bottle of water), on the longer leg I was given no selection of snacks (only pretzels) and handed a flat cup of soda. Yuk. This is the last time I fly AA. You'll do fine if your 5'5" or shorter, if your so hungry you couldn't eat a thing, and so filled with fluids you could drink one ounce. I think the flight attendants and pilots are so nice b/c the benefits are so lousy. As the flight attendants say, "Ba-Bye"!

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

A pretty easy flight on a small aircraft. Try to get a seat on the left hand side as they are single seats.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

My husband and I are not young, or rich, or well-travelled, but we had been planning and saving for this trip for over four years. We weren't prepared for it to start out as a nightmare.

Our Tuesday flight from San Diego to JFK was diverted to Dulles enroute because of bad weather. We were supposed to arrive at JFK at 3:59pm and catch a later flight to Helsinki. As it was we did not arrive at JFK until after 11pm and the only thing we were given was a boarding pass for a flight the next day - which would leave more than 24 hours after the originally-scheduled flight, and which stopped at London, rather than going non-stop to Helsinki. We did not arrive in Helsinki until Friday evening, and I estimate we lost almost two days of vacation.

While I understand that the airlines cannot control the weather, they should be able to do more about staffing the check-in terminal at JFK and providing better communications.

When we got off the plane we were told that American Airlines could not give us food vouchers or hotel vouchers but that there was a hotel desk which could arrange for us to go to a hotel at our own expense. When we got to the desk we were told that every hotel in the area had already been filled. I tried calling hotels on my own but did not have any better luck. I was concerned that my husband, who has a bad back, needed a place to rest. There were only a few chairs downstairs and they had already been occupied by other travellers. After talking to Traveller's Aid and JFK staffers I was told that American Airlines could offer us a cot and a blanket, but we had to go upstairs and wait in line at check-in.

Upstairs there seemed to be only three American Airlines employees on duty, and a long line. One of the staff members was taking care of business class, and one was talking to people waiting to check-in, while the third appeared to be handling passengers sent over by the one doing the main check-in. We waited, and waited, and waited. At 12:30 the line had hardly moved, and by 1:30 things had not improved very much. I called the 800 customer service number while waiting in line and was told that the only thing I could do was "stay in line." I even broke queue
and went out of turn to the staffer on the left to ask for a blanket or pillow or something for my husband, but I was told to "get back in line."

Around 2am my husband calculated that, at the rate the line was being seen, it would be another two hours before we would be able to check our bags and go into the terminal (if then), so we decided to go back downstairs where it was warmer.
We ended up trying to sleep on the airport floor.

WE ENDED UP TRYING TO SLEEP ON THE AIRORT FLOOR.

Around 3am we checked the line again and at first it looked as if it had been taken care of, but it turned out that waiting passengers were asleep on the floor, in line.
It wasn't until after 4am that the line started moving again, and we finally got into the terminal, where at least the floor was softer.

I asked American Airlines customer service inside the terminal why we weren't able to get an earlier flight out of JFK, and why we had to go through London - his response was that "all the other flights were full".

Now, most of the American Airlines personnel we met during our trip were helpful and courteous (I apologize for losing my temper at the stewardess while we were on the tarmac at Dulles for over three hours. There had been creeping departure delays from 6pm, to 630, to 8pm, to 8:20pm, to 9:30pm and I was tired) but I wasn't even able to talk to the midnight shift at JFK. I feel that Check-in was terribly understaffed.

I will never forget lying on the floor of JFK Terminal 8 in the wee hours, trying to sleep, wondering if we would ever get to our destination and realizing that this must be how homeless refugees feel.

If we had been cattle we would at least have been given water, hay, and soft straw.