“A Big Fan or American Airlines”
Review of American Airlines

Reviewed 5 August 2016

I fly American Airlines whenever I can because I have a credit card that give me points towards flights. Over the past several years I have flown with AA from LAX to DFW and onto Liberia, Costa Rica as well as many shorter flights from Orange County to Phoenix, Arizona and Orange County to Albuquerque, NM. I have not yet had any bad experiences and usually get Priority Boarding on my ticket which makes it a lot nicer especially in PHX which is one of the worst airports with the longest security lines. I like the fact that you can pre-select your seat with an online reservation. I have been fortunate to have had some of the best flight attendants compared to any airline I have flown.

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (51,115)

Reviewed 5 August 2016

We got through the TSA check pretty fast and the flight was on time. We paid the $ for the extra leg room. The seats all had their own screens which had movies, games, music, flight information etc. It made the time pass so much more quickly and the Adults as well as the kids enjoyed this feature. For the most part the attendants were very nice although there is always one in every crowd that should just retire instead of being miserable and projecting that misery on to others. All in all, it was a nice experience and we will not hesitate to use American again.

Reviewed 5 August 2016

We've all heard about the banks that are too big to fail. Well, at the moment, the best slogan for the new, larger American Airlines might be "Too big to succeed."

It was of those "there's weather in the midwest" days and as a result anything going through DFW was a challenge. Our inbound A/C came from DFW to YVR in a reasonably timely fashion but as we learned before departure from an increasingly distressed Captain, our flight had to go around some weather enroute DFW so that we needed extra fuel and some new paperwork to address the increased aircraft weight. Shouldn't be a problem except that "the company" was not being responsive to his requests for upgraded paperwork and also hadn't contacted the fuel vendor at YVR.

We finally took off about an hour late and made decent time to DFW, so much so that when we landed there was no gate available. Once again, we heard how "the company" had messed up gate scheduling at DFW, etc., etc.

As it turned out, most every flight into and out of DFW was delayed that evening so that we made our connection just fine (sad to say, two out of four bags didn't). What I walked away with was sense of deja vu. I'll guess that our Captain came from the USAir side and was having difficulties dealing with systems and processes of the AA operations folks in Fort Worth. It really sounded a lot like the early days of the UA/CO and DL/NW mergers.

So, good luck, American. I really liked the old company a lot -- ever since my first flight on AA (BOS-DCA way back in the spring of 1968.) I hope that the link-up goes more smoothly in the future.

1  Thank NewSmyrnaJoe
Reviewed 5 August 2016

I prefer to fly American Airlines. When your in the air, the pilot lets you know when you will expect a bumpy ride and why. Due to the air being very hot he let us know when the ride was going to change. This eased the mind in thinking something was wrong with the plane. I prefer American over United, Delta.

Reviewed 5 August 2016

I flew American twice to EU within 2 months in the summer '15... once to Zurich, once to Rome. Both flights connected in Philadelphia (why is that their connection city!?). Both flights had weather delays ~ either originating or connecting, as a result of Philly. Once the EU leg of the flight was in the air, the experience was reasonable (entertainment, seat comfort, food options, & service), but the delays were as much a part of the airline, as uncontrollable nature. Other flights were leaving, though our plane sat on the tarmac. Generally, AA is ok, but I've definitely had better experiences overseas.

Date of travel: September 2015