“complete disorganization”
Review of Alitalia

Reviewed 18 October 2017

My daughter and I flew Rome Catania Rome. We missed our first leg due to long lines, inability to check our luggage. The flight people were lovely. They did prioritize us after missing a flight to the next flight. We paid almost as much in LUGGAGE FEES as our flight. That I find reprehensible.
Returning to Rome, from Catania,we arrived early to avoid any issues. They had us wait in line to take others who had flights ahead of ours. We just wanted to relax and have coffee. Not what we are used to. This is the Italian way.

2  Thank Lori S
Write a ReviewReviews (13,995)

Reviewed 17 October 2017

I rarely write reviews, so the fact that I'm actually using part of my precious time to write this says a lot.

My problem all started when I was not able to check in online for my return flight for some mysterious reason, although I had been able to check in online and get my boarding pass for my flight to Nice. I got to the airport at 7:00 AM and my flight was at 7:40 AM. I ran to the ticket counter and saw the people working the counter literally leave before my eyes (they had just closed check in and were going to the gate for boarding). I have to mention I had NO checked luggage, only a carry on. I went to the Alitalia counter, where there were NO Alitalia employees to be found. I was told the company was on strike that day and that the company was not functioning as normal. From my understanding since I have been living in Rome, Alitalia is frequently on strike, which makes it an unreliable airline, but that's beside the point.

The two ladies that actually helped me out were employees of another airline (Corsair). They called the people working the check in and boarding gate, and they asked if we had baggage, and after some back and forth they simply said it was too late and we could not get on the flight (there was another man that was also trying to get on the flight, he had a credit card of Alitalia with special status and privileges). None of us two got on the flight, although we had plenty of time to go through security and get to the gate. The employees also ask the Alitalia customer service if I could get on the next flight, and they said it was impossible and I had to get another ticket (200 euros one way). I decided to book with another airline, Vueling, whom offered the same flight for 65 euros.

A few days later I found out on the refund page of the Alitalia website that if you called within 24 hours, after not boarding a flight for whatever reason, they could put you on another flight. That is obviously false, since they refused to put me on another flight. That same page mentions that airport taxes and fees are always refundable for ALL fare types. I then contacted the travel agency (Gotogate) whom I booked it through. After some back and forth, they kept telling me that I used my return ticket and that in this case there was nothing to reimburse. I kept insisting that I did not board the flight, and I sent them my Vueling ticket to prove them I flew with another airline, and they kept replying that I took the flight and that there was nothing reimbursable. THEN, I resorted to call Alitalia, because they never want to help out unless you purchased the ticket with them. When I explained the situation to the guy, he said I had to contact the travel agency I booked my ticket with, and I told him they did not want to hear anything and that Alitalia told them I took the flight, which I did not. Then I suggested he looked up the booking with my ticket number, and as I was giving him the number he hung up on me.

BOTTOM LINE: I will not get any of my money back will never fly Alitalia again.

3  Thank Etienne C
Reviewed 17 October 2017

We flew in Oct. 2017. We learned this airline had filed for bankruptcy only after we purchased the tickets. The flight from Toronto to Rome was not as horrible as the flight from Rome to Toronto. If you are sleeping throughout the entire flight, then you won't notice much. We had to sit parked on the runway for 1 hour before being allowed to take off from Rome. We were supposed to fly out at 3:15pm. They loaded everyone on the plane around 2:20pm and made us all sit there for 2 hours until finally flying out. There were about 7 flights scheduled to fly out at 3:15pm so they must have over-scheduled the runway. On the way back to Toronto, the flight was in the middle of the day (3:15pm) and yet as soon as we flew out the flight attendants closed all the shades and turned off all lights trying to suggest people should "pretend sleep" even though it was the middle of the day for all of us. The flight attendants did everything they possibly could in order to do the minimum amount of work. In addition, there was a curtained off area in the back of the plane where most flight attendants were sleeping during the flight (leaving only 1 or 2 attendants to cover the whole plane). If they weren't sleeping, they were sitting down chatting not ever paying attention to passengers who had the service light on and needed something. If you put your "service light" on asking for something, they would never come to your seat. The food served on the flight back to Toronto was absolutely disgusting, There were many passengers who were very sick (coughing as if their lungs were about the burst) and I did not hear even one flight attendant offer passengers a warm tea or something to help their cough calm down. Some passengers couldn't stop coughing constantly for 10 hours. At least the attendants should've offered them water. The seats were crammed in with no leg room at all. The one thing I did like was their entertainment system.

Reviewed 17 October 2017

Flight 621 from LA to Rome, with a connection flight to Athens, Greece was delayed an hour, its a domino effect delayed flights of course you missed your connection flight at the same time. Alitalia does not want to offer another flight from different airlines, they rather you wait the whole day at the airport for the only available flight they offer which is 10:00pm at night. They don't offer free lunch & dinner for the whole day we stayed at the airport. For the money that we pay for business class, or economy class Alitalia should offer free lunch & dinner, even upgrade for the discomfort & inconvenience this flight cause us. A birthday celebration that I planned for my husband was ruined because of this flight.

1  Thank luvtango2017
Reviewed 17 October 2017

Very disappointed with service, transportation, and food.. We were transferred to 3 different terminals before the finally loaded us on a bus and rode out on the tarmack to board the plane. This also happened on our return flight with this airlines.. will try NOT to use this one again..