“Avoid this Airline!”
Review of air berlin

Reviewed 18 August 2017 via mobile

We purchased tickets from Air Berlin in March ,for a Cruise round trip to Copenhagen Denmark. It was recommended by our Travel Agent. First of all, there is a $74.00 charge to book,that no one mentions! Then if you want to pick out seats,that's another charge! After all that,they cancelled our Flight home ,turned us over to SAS,and we had to fly to Newark Airport, instead of JFK. Our Shuttle was picking us up at JFK!! We ended up taking a Taxi to get there!

• Value for money
There are newer reviews for air berlin

Reviewed 18 August 2017

We booked today online two reward tickets on the internet site of Topbonus Ltd, the frequent flyer program of Air Berlin. Everything worked fine and we got at the end of the booking a confirmation on the screen that our flights are booked but we never received a confirmation email. That's why we contacted the operating carrier, Air Berlin and Topbonus.
The operating carrier (S7) explained that they can see the booking but there is no ticket on it issued and recommended to contact Air Berlin and Topbonus. Without an issued ticket they denied the transportation.
Air Berlin confirmed as well that they can see the booking but as Topbonus, their frequent flyer program, is an independent company, we have to contact them.
Then we contacted Topbonus Ltd. According to Topbonus is their booking system since Tuesday blocked and the redemption of miles is impossible.
It is understandable that the insolvent Air Berlin is in big troubles and cannot help. But Topbonus is an independent company, majority owned by Etihad. Topbonus is not bankrupt. How can they simply block their booking systems and deny the redemption of miles? My booking was with the partner airlines S7, a one world member which is not in financial problems and operating flights as usual.
In my opinion, this is simply fraud. As long as Topbonus Ltd is not itself bankrupt, they should comply and fulfill their obligations.
Looks like the German prosecutors are not anyhow interested to protect the interest of the clients.

1  Thank Moscow007
Reviewed 17 August 2017

We flew from Chicago to Berlin and then Berlin to Stockholm. Our flight left O'Hara 1 hour behind schedule. We made up some time in the air but still arrived in Berlin behind schedule which was enough time for us to get to our next flight but not our luggage. We were told in Stockholm that our luggage would arrive on the next flight that afternoon. I don't know if it did or not because we did not receive it until two days later and only one bag arrived. We did not receive our second bag until 6 days later. We were on a cruise so now the luggage had to catch up to us which is much more difficult. I'm not sure where the fault lies, with the airline or with the carrier they give your bags to, to be delivered but if our bags did arrive in Stockholm later on the day we arrived we should have received them at least by the next day and we did not.

1  Thank kathysellers
Reviewed 17 August 2017

When my wife and I tried to return to Israel in Berlin the 23rd of June, at the check in counter of Air Berlin, we were told that we had no tickets, even though we flew with Berlin from Israel four days before (ticket no. 818002514379 and 80). We were told to go to the Air Berlin Service Desk. There I was asked "How did I get to Berlin?". I told them that I flew in on flight AB8381 on the 19th. They could have checked the flight manifest to see if we were on that flight (seats 24e and f), but they did not. If we had no tickets, how did we fly on flight AB8381 the 19th of June? All they did was confirm that we had no tickets. I was then told to call Israir in order to rectify the problem. They should have contacted Israir in order to find out if my tickets were genuine, but they did not. I asked to speak to the manager, but got no replay.
I had no way to contact Israir by phone. I had to call my daughter and son in law (through WhatsApp )who got in touch with Israir through Issta. By the time that the problem was solved, the check in counter was closed and the flight was read to take off. If the Air Berlin Service Desk would have got in touch with Israir the tickets would have been reinstated relatively quick, and we would made the flight, but they did not. Meanwhile my wife who suffers from asthma was starting to have an attack. Thus destroying our stay in Berlin.
In the end we were booked and a flight the next day and accommodations for the night, but had to pay for the Taxi and hotel.
Because we had to check out of the hotel at 12:00, which is located in the Turkish quarter of Berlin, there was nothing to do there. We were in no mood for sightseeing. We had little money left. We missed the medications that we would have taken if we were on the original flight (23rd of June). All we did was 23rd of June wait in the hotel lobby until 19:00 for our pick up the airport.

Because we missed our flight by no fault of our own, but the inability of the service desk to solve the problem; this should be treated as an overbooking and be compensated as such to the maximum. We should be also compensated for the mental anguish caused by the inaction of Air Berlin.

3  Thank Arie L
Reviewed 16 August 2017

Air Berlin was a surprisingly enjoyable experience. I was not sure why to expect but the airplane was good, clean, looked new and more spacious than I imagined. The service was good and the entertainment systems was good and the food was much better than most premium airlines. The seats were a lot more comfortable than I expected and therefore it surpassed my expectations and was an enjoyable experience. I certainly would not hesitate to fly with Air Berlin again.

2  Thank Andyhud