“A long haul airline, with a budget airline feel. ”
Review of Air New Zealand

Reviewed 3 January 2024

We recently travelled from Manchester to Auckland, via Hong Kong. We had 3 nights in HK and were quite excited to travel with air NZ for the next leg of our journey. We had 3 different airlines during trip, all with 30kg allowance. We were immediately disappointed with the service at check in, only 23kg allowance, compared to 30 kg with Qatar and Virgin and when we have flown with Emirates.

Once boarded the seats were really uncomfortable and very very narrow, we had paid for extra legroom, but the seats allocated were under the air conditioning, and we felt we were sitting in a blast chiller ! As this was also a night flight it made for a very comfortable 10.5 hrs of flying.

The 3 stars were for the friendly air stewards. The airline I would avoid, unless it was a short flight where comfort is less important.

Reviewed 3 January 2024

Ok went to the toilet smelt absolutely disgusting made me vomit and no body even helped the smell. what rubbish!

Reviewed 1 January 2024

Just got off the flight so thought I would strike while the iron is hot - the aircraft product is showing its age but the service and food were top notch - loved the hapuka and the amuse bouche of salmon. However I am transiting to London and sadly having to collect your bags and clear immigration means it’s a pain in the butt - also here too early so cannot access the lounge. I think there are easier options to Europe so wouldn’t recommend a USA transit in future.

Reviewed 29 December 2023

I would strongly recommend avoiding Air New Zealand if possible. I certainly will not fly them again - my experience was so poor that I will go so far as to change my travel plans to avoid flying with them.

My first concern is the nickel and diming that this greedy airline does for its customer. In fact, I say Air New Zealand is worse than Spirit Airline in this regard. Your ticket gets you a seat only - you need to pay extra for a suitcase, a seat to ensure you and anyone you are traveling with can sit together (yes, they will separate you even if you purchase tickets together), and changes (even if the other flight has open seats).

My second concern is the abysmal customer service. Gate agents are unable to help and require you to leave security for any and all questions. My gate agent was lovely enough to yell at me that she would not be able to help me before I even asked my question (I wish I was exaggerating). My experience with the help desk was worse. I waited for 10 minutes as two free agents refused to help the line. I also had two separate agents help men before me who walked up to the desk after those of us in line had already been waiting 10+ minutes. When I did finally get them to be willing to help me, they refused to answer my question of how much it would cost to switch flights to an earlier one. Their response was a condescending, “too much, hun. Your flight is only in two hours. Why don’t you just wait?”

My third complaint is the lack of respect to inform customers of delays in a timely manner. My flight was supposed to board at 1:40 pm. At 1:35 pm, we were informed that the previously flight was arriving late and we would be delayed by an hour. Note, they had also known about this for at least 45 minutes, but refused to share the information.

Reviewed 29 December 2023

You need to sort out what ever circus your running there Air New Zealand my parents are back home at the moment and the service they have received from your air line is disgusting in the 12 years we have lived in oz we always fly with Air NZ well after this we will be going with Qantas from now on service is a joke out of all the flights booked only the international one was boarded and the 4 domestic ones they didn’t even get on because they were canceled not one email or txt or phone call and when trying to change the flight your person on the phone wanted more money when it was your fault couldn’t even put my mother up in a hotel no mention of a refund any one thinking of going with Air Nz don’t book with another airline service has gone down the drain also payed for movies and all the screens on the plane were down.

Date of travel: November 2023
    • Check-in and boarding
Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.