“First long haul flight (and on my own too 😬)”
Review of Air New Zealand

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Before I start I should mention that although I bought my flight with air New Zealand it was operated by Singapore airlines.

This was my first flight alone, ant my first long haul so I was very anxious about the whole thing.

Checking in with my E-ticket and E-visa was a nightmare to be honest. As I arrived I was ushered by staff to use a self check in machine- this wouldn't work and despite asking several staff members to help me I still had no success. Finally I asked a staff member who was able to help, he explained that the reason the self check in wouldn't work is because I had an E-visa, and I would need to get in line to use the assisted check in- not a problem, in fact I felt more comfortable doing this- but it would have been nice to have been advised of this either through communications prior to my flight date or by someone on arrival; that way I wouldn't have spent 30 anxiety ridden minutes trying over and over again on a machine that Was never going to work for me. I'm not sure if this is the fault of the airline or the airport but I felt it's worth a mention.

Boarding and getting to my seat all went smoothly, everything was on time.
I was a little disappointed not to have a window seat after selecting this an option when buying my tickets, but I appreciate that there are a limited number. Also I was given a seat at the front of the cabin where I had more leg room than I knew what to do with, so that definitely made up for not having the window seat.

A blanket and pillow was provided for the journey and my seat was able to recline a little too- this made it very easy to sleep during the journey.
Also free earphones were provided for the entertainment system- this is a bonus as I know lots of airlines charge extra for them!
Toothbrushes, toothpaste And flight socks were handed out in little zip pouches which was a nice touch.

Good recent films were available to watch for free on the entertainment system and I managed to watch a film that I had been looking forward to seeing.

There were plenty of toilets on the plane and they were all clean and well stocked with the necessities.

The staff were helpful and friendly, and they attended very soon I pushed the button on several occasions ( I take medication which gives me a very dry mouth so I was constantly after a drink).

The food wasn't wonderful but definitely edible, it certainly beat my expectations of aeroplane food anyway. There were options available for any kind of dietary requirements which is good.

All in all the flight was a pleasant experience and I would happily fly with ANZ and Singapore airlines again.

Date of travel: November 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (9,951)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Partnership flight, flew Cathay but first leg was with Air New Zealand, I had fractured my knee so asked if I could have a seat with more legroom, yes if you pay for it, so asked how much, said ok, but can not do that as no seats available on flights to Hong Kong or return, so why bother to give me a price for the two flights, not at all helpful, a bit rude, asked the same question at the airport, leg in brace with walking stick, it will cost you more, well can I do it please, no as none available.
My wife phoned Cathay before we left, gave them our flight number and explained about my knee, sorry to hear about your knee we have booked you both ways from Hong Kong to Rome with extra leg room, no charge.
Well done Cathay, would never use Air New Zealand as fount them rude.
The seats on Air NewZealand were small and hard, the seats on Cathay were soft a a bit larger.

Date of travel: September 2018
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Service was fantastic, had the works option so also had movies and meals. Meals were excellent. Seats nice and comfy. Plenty of leg room for my daughter and I (I am 174cms and she is 181cms) Couldn't ask for a better flight. Will always pick Air NZ before any other airline

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Good comfortable flight into Auckland. Cabin crew were helpful and pleasant. Good leg room and comfortable seats on this flight. Food was good as airlines go. Flight was on time, with no delays. Efficient service and would use again.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

In January 2018, we were looking at airlines to take us to Hawaii for our 50th wedding anniversary. We were getting tired of spicy food served on other airlines, so we decided to choose a local airline. Air New Zealand (ANZ) advertised as being the “Dreamliner Airline”. We booked 2 business class tickets on three 787’s, & one 777. When we picked up our tickets, 10 days before leaving, 2 of the 3 Dreamliner’s had been replaced with 777's & all our booked seats were gone! This had never happened before. Flight Centre said it was the airlines fault, ANZ said it was the travel agents fault.
The 1st flight, on the only 787 left. Boarding was to start 30 mins before departure, it started 13 mins before! Normally business 1st, premium 2nd & economy 3rd, but not ANZ, business and premium were called together, then economy, so much for business priority! On the plane, we found the seats didn't face the window, they faced into the plane! We were offered strange looking orange juice, it wasn’t fresh, but condensed! ANZ has a strange idea on what business entails, compared to other airlines we’ve flown with. I was asked what main course I’d like, I picked the salmon for entrée and the beef for the main, the alternatives were, you guessed it, “Spicy”. They had to know what mains were required, to start heating them up. At dinner asked for salmon starter, told all the salmon was gone! Didn't want the spicy alternative, he later returned with a salmon starter he’d managed to “Retrieve” from premium. Wondered why they had priority over business? What about Wi-Fi, only on 777’s!
On the flight to Honolulu, same last minute boarding debacle, as we boarded the plane, noticed green paint and lots of Chinese writing. Had we got on the wrong plane? I remembered this plane, a 777, and the 787, were the only 2 that hadn’t changed since we'd booked. We were told they were leasing this plane while the 787 was being serviced! Same condensed juice, and couldn’t find a menu. Told no menus, was the first time in years of flying I’d never had a menu! I knew then Wi-Fi was out, not our plane, just leasing it! When ready for bed, asked for pyjamas, they didn’t supply them! Also told, couldn't make up the bed! But I’d be woken an hour before landing. My wife woke me 30 mins before landing, no one had woken me up! Asked for breakfast, told too close to landing for food, or drinks!
Departing from Honolulu airport, and the boarding passes showed different seats to the ones booked, they’d changed our seats again! Told it was a different plane, the original was in for “servicing”, the seating was different, and couldn’t change our seats as business was fully booked. We boarded and business was full, but premium was almost empty, that was a first. Suspected premium passengers had been upgraded. This was a 777, it should have Wi-Fi? An attendant logged on for us, said to press continue & pay for the time wanted. Pay, but other airlines give a free 10 mins for business class. Not ANZ! We’d been told to pay for a hotel overnight in Auckland as the time of our final flight didn't match with the flight from Honolulu. This shouldn’t be our cost? With 3 other airlines, JAL, QATAR & QANTAS, if flights didn't match, they put us up in hotels, at their cost. But not ANZ, even if you’re business class!
On our flight from Auckland, the seats were unchanged! They called business 1st, and the orange juice was real! It didn’t last of course, ordered muesli, the milk was pale? It was skimmed not full milk. Only have skimmed, no room for all different types, so they choose skimmed. So couldn’t drink the tea either. Had the fruit bread with marmalade, it was hard and stale! So that was breakfast! Ordered a Baileys, later ordered another one for both of us. The attendant came and asked if I'd had any before? Only one, I said? Told there were only 2 miniatures left and they normally put 2 in for each drink, could he give one to each of us? They normally didn't run out of Baileys. I didn’t believe him!
So if you’re thinking about travelling ANZ, especially in business class, we “couldn’t” recommend them. We’re going back to Malaysian, Singapore, Cathay, Emirates, QATAR etc. they have Dreamliner’s, and actually have more western food choices, which in hindsight, surprised us!

1  Thank dnthorne81