“Short haul & we were fed!”
Review of Air New Zealand

Reviewed 17 February 2018

A flight less than 2 hours & we even landed about 20 minutes early, guess the sky isn't to crowded around New Zealand.

On a short flight we didn't expect to get fed (for free) but we had a snack & fruit juice or coffee.

Date of travel: January 2018
    • Food and Beverage
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (9,714)

Reviewed 17 February 2018

My wife and I flew return ANZ Premium Economy from London to Aukland via Los Angeles, out in December 2017 back in January. When considering which airline to fly to NZ the fist decision was either to go east via Singapore or west via the USA. From reputation and previous experience of USA airports, I prefer to avoid the USA where possible but spoke to the ANZ customer services beforehand who assured me that the stopover at LA involved an uncomplicated, short walk off the plane to allow for refuelling + on questioning, that all luggage including hand luggage could be left on the plane. On this basis I chose to fly ANZ.

The flight itself was good but contrary to the advice given, the stopover at LA was a nightmare. After a long walk from the plane at LA it was necessary to undergo an arduous process first through customs, thereby entering the USA and then again re-entering. Coming back through security the queue was enormous and required a wait of more than 1-hour. Furthermore, we were asked to take hand luggage off the plane, which contained duty free purchases previously made air side at Heathrow but was rejected and confiscated by USA customs. After more the 2-hours we then had to rush back to just make the gate when the final call was being given.

On returning home six weeks later, with some difficulty I found a form on the ANZ website to make a complaint about the aforesaid process. After hearing nothing for more than 10-days I re-submitted my complaint. Still no response, so I called customer services who explained that they could do nothing to help but suggested I send my complaint via a flight comment email address. Not surprisingly now 1-month since sending my first complaint I have still not heard anything from ANZ!

Whilst I appreciate some of the problems encountered at LA may have been out of their control, the process (called a transit but in fact refuelling) was misrepresented to me before booking and, furthermore, some specifics turned out to be completely incorrect, resulting in and very unpleasant experience and loss of goods.

Airlines need to recognise that the passenger experience is not is not just that on the plane but on the ground too and in the event of complaints arising or just queries, the customer service function is also very important. In my case customer services completely failed beforehand, during and after the flights. It's a pity as the in-flight experience was OK but until (a) ANZ sort out the LA 'transit' and (b) improve customer services I would not recommend flying ANZ.

Date of travel: December 2017
    • Food and Beverage
    • Legroom
    • In-flight entertainment (WiFi, TV, films)
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
1  Thank GrahamR1404
Reviewed 17 February 2018 via mobile

I experienced a number of different air line staff during a return trip to the uk from nz. Some were definitely a lot happier in their jobs than others and I was solo with a 2 year old so their help and customer service was well noted. I’ve flown backwards and forwards on this trip over 10 times and have had better airline experiences. The food onboard was ok, a lot better than others and the cleanliness was good.

Date of travel: February 2018
    • Legroom
    • In-flight entertainment (WiFi, TV, films)
Reviewed 17 February 2018

First time using Premier Economy and I can fully recommend this for 8-10 hour flight.
ANZ flight crew were there usuall efficiency service was really good.
Well done ANZ

Date of travel: February 2018
Reviewed 17 February 2018

Service was really great,from the time we checked in.to our return trip home,plenty of leg room,as I am tall it was no problem.

Date of travel: August 2017