“Company's slowly recovering from tough time, good flight for myself”
Review of Air Madagascar

Reviewed 18 January 2018

As a Malagasy national, I am very aware of the kind of issues the company has been having in the last couple of years, and under its new management (since October 2017), I am optimistic about its efforts to improve service and reliability. Please consider this when reading other negative comments. Back in 2015, I had my inconvenient share of cancelled flights as well with Air Madagascar, however my latest flight with them was a rather positive one.

We left punctually from Paris, picking up people in Marseille, from where we also left punctually, arriving in Antananarivo on time.

The plane (an older Airbus A340) is indeed a bit old, with a shaky take off (lights going on and off until they turn them off, better not be epileptic!), but otherwise the flight was comfortable and there was barely any turbulence. I have to highlight the pilots' excellent landing skills, which made for the smoothest landings I have experienced (I have travelled a lot, so I have a lot of other landings to compare it to). You can barely feel the plane touching the ground, and once it does, it does not uncomfortably accelerate due to its momentum, and has somehow already attained its taxiing velocity on the runway.

The inside of the plane was good for cleanliness. The ashtrays had a bit of trash in them, so it should have been cleaned up. Bathroom was okay, I usually avoid going to the bathrooms during flights, but this was a long one so I had to - I can't really compare it to any other airline.

Service was good on the plane, the staff is friendly and professional. We received a snack from Paris to Marseille (simple cheese sandwich, nothing too special). Dinner was excellent - I enjoyed that there was fish as a selection instead of pasta (I do not eat red or white meat, so pasta is usually my go-to dish). For sure if someone is a full vegetarian that might not work out however. They also served some extra chilli paste along with it, which was delicious. I was very happy with this meal. Breakfast was good, pretty standard in my opinion, but still very satisfying.

I managed to get some sleep through that long flight (I spent about 12 hours inside the plane it total, so it is quite long!). The media selection is smaller than on other airlines, but it had just what I needed - I watched 1.5 movies, and was happy with what I had selected to watch. However, there were not TV shows to watch.

Overall, I had a good and satisfying flight with Air Madagascar, everything was on time and went smoothly. I hope that future flights will continue like this!

• Food and Beverage
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
1  Thank christene r

Reviewed 6 January 2018 via mobile

Flight cancelled, poor to no communication from airline staff. No effort to reorganize missed connecting flight on same airline or reimburse. Worst staff behaviour I have seen of any organisation. Main reason not to go to Madagascar

Reviewed 28 December 2017 via mobile

I'd already booked my flights before I read the lousy reviews of this airline but thought surely they can't be this bad? I was wrong - they were worse.

London to Paris with Air France went smoothly but the trouble started as soon as I boarded the Air Madagascar flight.

Take off was delayed and we sat there sweating and fanning ourselves for over an hour. It was an ageing A340 with outdated, small entertainment screen, few movies to watch and no charging points. My hot meal, chicken risotto was cold.

The flight arrived late at Antananarivo but my baggage didn't arrive at all and I didn't get it back until the journey home. The connecting flight to Antsiranana was also delayed so at least I didn't miss that. None of the staff seemed to know what they were doing and had a don't give a toss attitude. Without my fishing equipment, my holiday was ruined.

The return flight to Paris arrived late and I missed my connection home. There was nobody at the Air Madagascar desk to sort it out, but Air France were very good about it, put me on the next flight and found my baggage, which had gone missing again.

All 4 flights for the return trip were late and the cabin crew behaved as if this was normal.

The word excrement is far too complimentary and you should avoid this airline at all costs even if it means changing your holiday destination

Reviewed 4 December 2017

There was no flight at all. I was to go to Palmarium from Masoala on November 14 and return to Tana on the 16th for my flight at 1:50, November 17. My driver guide took pains to confirm the flight with Air Madagascar many times, at first our names disappeared from the passanger list, then they reappeared after his enquiries. The last time he checked the flight with them was the day before the flight (which was to be on 14th of November), they confirmed. There were to be two flights but none of them materialized. As the last boat left the night before, there was no chance for me to return to Antanarivo for my international flight to Paris. I was saved by a private plane that brought the tourists to Maroantsetra, which cost me more money that I could afford. Never try to fly from Masoala with Air Madagascar, choose the boat instead!!!!

1  Thank Maria_the_Snorkeler
Reviewed 21 November 2017 via mobile

This airline was the worst part of my entire trip. Only take it if you have no other options. No matter what, do not rely on it. It is either fine, or a complete nightmare. Maybe if this was Air Asia and flights were $50, that would be okay, but these flights are expensive.

My flight from Tana to Ile Saint Marie at the beginning of my trip was only a bit delayed, but my trip back from Maroantsetra to Tana was TERRIBLE.

I found out that just before I had gotten to the area, Air Madagascar had cancelled all flights to and from Maroantsetra for two weeks while they waited for a new fire truck for the Maroantsetra airport. They left all travelers there literally stranded to find very expensive charter flights back to the capital because there is no other way to get there. They also warned me of this at no point in my trip, so I got to Maroantsetra not knowing it was happening- luckily operation returned the week before I left.

The day of my flight we were waiting and were all checked in and supposed to leave in 30 minutes when the flight was cancelled.

Suddenly every one started yelling and everything became very chaotic. I am a seasoned backpacker so I am used to some chaos, but no one told any one what was happening. It was essentially traveling across the room by word of mouth in Malagasy while every one was slamming into each other trying to get their checked bags. Luckily our tour guide had brought us to the airport and he was able to snag our stuff and race us to the Air Madagascar office.

There were two people in the Air Madagascar to handle two flight’s worth of travelers. They hated all of us. It was Tuesday and they said the flight should come the next day. They said if it didn’t come then we would have to come back to the office as we were not scheduled for the already booked Thursday flight and would not be able to get on for free. Essentially we would be SOL and it was annoying to them that I even asked what that meant.

The employee kept asking to see my email flight confirmation on my phone and after I had showed it to her the third time, some one nearby stole it in the chaos. Mostly my fault for not being aware enough but it still sucked and felt very avoidable.

Anyway we missed our international flight. We didn’t know if we would even be able to get a flight the next day or the day after, and then the next flight wouldn’t be for five days after that.

It is a poorly managed and expensive airline. If you can get a group charter plane or take the newer Madigaskara airline, which is apparently better, then do it. Avoid this airline.

1  Thank AOKayla