“Better than Expected”
Review of Air France

Reviewed 30 October 2017

This was our first Air France (AF) experience and our trip included a very early morning commuter hop from Venice to Paris (CDG) and on to Atlanta in a Boeing 777 which is their long haul fleet mainstay. AF has a an advance seat selection option - for an extra cost or else you wait until 30 hours prior to departure and hopefully you get lucky. We paid for the long haul and got lucky with the short hop.

The planes were clean and comfortable and the crews were friendly, polite and efficient. The announcements in English were barely decipherable but sounded charming nonetheless. We found it odd that the short hop Airbus 318 had seats that were incapable of reclining, but maybe that is a good thing for commuters. The 777 had reclining seats and good spacing.

The service, food and wine were the best ever in economy class. The media, entertainment choices and ease of navigation were the best. The 9 hour hour flight was way better than expected. It made the running to catch the connection and extra security screening at CDG all worthwhile.

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (23,340)

Reviewed 30 October 2017

Flew Air France on 27 Oct 2017.
Reached airport by 9.45 pm, Delhi traffic can never be trusted. Thankfully there was no rush at all to check in. The staff checking me in was busy talking to his colleague and it was impossible to try and talk to him. Wanted to confirm my aisle seat which I had selected while online check in, but didnt get a chance to ask him. Got through the process in over 2 mins or so.

At the boarding gate they announced the late arrival of the flight. They should have done it earlier on the display too so that I could sit in the lounge rather than wait at the gate!

They had marked the different zones at the airport waiting area based on your seats in the aircraft. My zone was 4. Boarding was smooth as they were actually checking your zone when you were entering the line. Usually no airlines check and so was the entry to the plane.
Seated at 28 B aisle as per my selection, was the last row of the first section of the economy and next to the toilets. However, there was a curtain to divided the toilets and the sitting area. The toilets start to smell after a couple of hours of flying time, but they were smelling fresh when I used them after 6 hours of flying time. Kudos!

The fleece blanket can be a little thicker as the cabin became too cold at times. Seat was comfortable and the leg room was not that bad.

The food was just OK. The paranthas were dry and hard but the aloo sabzi was tasty. Getting a big bar of kitkat chocolate was a pleasant surprise. Menu picture uploaded.

The entertainment screen size needs to be increased and so does the quality. Not a pleasure to watch a movie. Need better selection too. Etihad has one of the best collections for inflight entertainment. Saw a movie and then slept most of the way. Usually before landing the crew comes to collect the headphones, they didnt.

Soft beverages variety needs improvement, like lemonade should be added.

Another thing great was that there were no crying babies in this section, so got a good nap. On most flights kids cry loudly which does not let you sleep!
Overall experience was OK. In the past have had bad experiences so was not expecting anything great.

Reviewed 29 October 2017

The service and the staff were good, however there was way too little leg room and I am 1.75m, I felt extremely claustrophobic as there was way too little space. I felt like being on Ryanair or easy jet. Food was very average too. Never again.

5  Thank monika s
Reviewed 29 October 2017 via mobile

Crew was very pleasing and friendly. Cabin is immaculate clean and well presented. Seats on economy A321 is actually pretty ok for a short flight. We were served a selection of crackers and drinks. Only problem was at Rome airport as we had two pieces of luggage one with 20 kg other with 28kg . Combined over of 2 kg and I was first asked to pay 70 euro. Than we unpacked and rearranged that one suitcase has 23 and 25 kg and the lady granted us Free of charge which was appreciated

Reviewed 29 October 2017

Standard Disclaimer: I hate to travel. I Hate to travel. I HATE to travel. Guess I made my point. I never mention writing in Trip Advisor, as I want to be treated like everyone else, and I'd never solicit, nor accept, anything of value in return for a review, much less a positive one.

My wife and I had a bit of a disastrous experience with Delta Airlines leaving Chicago O'Hare on Oct. 13, 2017. We were notified our flight would be 2 hours late and we'd miss our connecting flight at JFK in NYC. That notification came within an hour of the original flight's departure. We scrambled and with the help of an air travel support person with Viking Cruises ("Boomer") and his working with Delta staff, we managed to get a flight to Zurich on Swiss Air. When we arrived in Zurich, my wife's suitcase didn't. It ended up being delivered to her within 48 hours of her filing paperwork in the Zurich airport.

As all good things need to end, our vacation was over on Oct. 27, 2017 and we were sort of dreading our return flight home. When I checked in on computer to see the flight status and check in, I saw we were flying Air France out of Charles De Gaulle Airport. Because my wife and I are larger people, we swore we'd never fly "economy" again after a bad experience in 2016 flying United from Fairbanks, Alaska. The Air France plane seemed a bit older than what we flew on with Swiss Air, and the flat panel monitors mounted on the back of the seats was not interactive, and also seemed a bit outdated with respect to technology. The monitors were operated by remote controllers mounted into the side of the seat armrest. The seats fully reclined so those wanting to could sleep. Like the sleep tubes in Swiss Air, my shoulders are a bit too broad for me to lay flat in seats like that, and that was also the case with Air France.

What I found most fascinating was the food aboard the plane. We had a 4-course dinner and beverages on this flight. We were given zip bags with some toiletries in them after we were seated on the plane. Around 2 hours left in the flight, the crew came around with yet another meal, this one being small ravioli with Mediterranean vegetables in them, served with chocolate cake and vanilla creme, and caramelized pineapple.

My only concern about this flight is since the plane seemed older than that of Swiss Air, our trip from Paris to Chicago took a bit longer. The pilot seldomly flew at speeds above 520 mph. For some unknown reason, boarding onto the plane started around 14:45 pm and we did not start to taxi toward the runway for a good hour and 2 minutes. We arrived in Chicago around 18 minutes later than we were supposed to, and I guess that is minor in the overall scheme of things.

I'd fly Air France any time. Except, I hate travel...........

1  Thank Stu T