“MEL/YVR Premium Economy Pales Beside Qantas Premium Economy”
Review of Air Canada

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

First of all, I am a very loyal AC customer and regularly fly back and forth between Mel and YVR. I was on the inaugural direct flight last year from YVR to MEL and it was an "event". My latest trip was in Premium Economy. I flew YVR/SFO/MEL on Qantas PE and it was fantastic so I was looking forward to MEL/YVR in AC's PE. What a disappointment. Qantas' PE is curtained off from economy and has its own crew. AC is not curtained off and does not have its own crew, it shares with economy and the level of service is no where close to that of Qantas. I don't know why, but AC has the same grumpy crew on the flight from MEL to YVR every time I return to Canada. Flying from YVR to MEL, we seem to have a pleasant crew which makes me glad I booked with AC but the return trip is always a different story. I feel badly for the Aussies who are on the flight, they must wonder why Canadians are so miserable. While I enjoy AC flights in Canada and back and forth to the US, I won't fly them internationally again - there are far better options even if the flights are not direct.

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (18,305)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The NY, LGA flight is perpetually late and we missed our connection to Tokyo in Toronto, even though both flights are Air Canada. Everyone at the airport was trained to be nice but multiple people misdirected us and we wasted a lot of time and were not able to get any answers on vouchers. Our luggage was "impounded" and no one could give us assurance that it would be on the next flight, which was for the following morning. The luggage people seem to work in their own silo and do not give any code or verification that they even have the luggage.
On our return I followed the directions on the web site to submit a claim for expenses to stay overnight in Toronto. I called after 10 weeks of no response and Customer Service said a "different" customer service department handle claims and will not take and call or make a call. So I am back to having rescan all my documentation, re-construct the events and resubmit and hope for the best. They should fire top management As a management consultant myself, I know what I am talking about.

Date of travel: August 2018
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I will keep this short and sweet- I will declare that I have never flown Singapore Airlines or Emirates but I have flown many others and all I can say is that if I have the choice I fly AC. Business class is brilliant- private, comfy, excellent food and booze, happy flight staff who seem to actually enjoy what they do, very nice new toiletry bags (we won't miss you - little grey bags...) and generally a really great experience. I have flown their new Signature service in N. America and Canada this year (SFO-YYZ, YYC-YYZ) in addition to the new 737 Max service to Reykjavik, all of them as good as the business class overseas product.

Thanks AC- I really don't understand the negative reviews. I am a very fussy traveller and I think you are great.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Flew Toronto to Vancouver, 9am departure. Ticket booked using Aeroplan points. Very easy to book online, including seating assignment. Flight left on time and arrived 15mins early. Boarding was very organized. Was a full flight. On flight service was very good - friendly and engaging. Plane was a Airbus A321. Seating is always cramped on AC.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

They say that an airline or any company should be judged by how well it performs under adversity. If that is true then Air Canada fails miserably.
When fog rolled into YVR making the likelihood of my flight from YVR to YCD unlikely, the staff started to mobilize to figure out what to do. After a lengthy discussion they decided to announce that the flight was cancelled. Although vouchers were given for travel to the nearby ferry terminal to get their passengers to their destination, the length of time, the garbled messages, and long line ups to obtain the vouchers and checked luggage all contributed to a stressful misadventure.
Of course I am not faulting Air Canada for the weather. after all foggy days in the autumn are common, but the process should be streamlined to enable passengers the chance to catch the next available ferry. A system of taxi sharing or dedicated bus service would have helped. And the hand writing of vouchers should be improved upon in this day and age of electronic transfer of information.
Clear messaging and communication would also have been helpful throughout this period of frustration. Sorry Air Canada but I expect more of you in helping your passengers when the skies are not clear and sunny. Most airlines do reasonably well in easy times - it’s when the chips are down you begin to realize the difference between great airlines and so/so ones.