“left to our own devices”
Review of Air Canada

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I know that things can go wrong but any organization is judged on how it responds to that adversity.
On a recent flight to Toronto we boarded normally and were already pushed back when we stopped. Mechanical crews came and the captain announced that there was a fuel leak. The mechanics were at the plane where it was on the apron; then they had the plane pushed back to the gate. We were all asked to leave and be back in two hours where we were assured we'd leave. We were back at the appointed time but nothing was happening and no announcements were made - though lots of stories and rumours were floating around. More than half an hour later we were finally told that the flight was cancelled. They started rebooking everyone but as we didn't seem to have a connecting flight (we did but it was the next day with a non partner airline) we were low priority. There were 186 people on our cancelled flight and there were only 100 empty seats to Toronto for the rest of the day.
We ended up spending an hour on the phone with the Air Canada booking agent ourselves and managed to get a flight to Edmonton and then to Toronto. We missed our meetings and only had five hours in our hotel but we made our connections the next morning.
Again I know things happen but we felt that there was littel communciaiton and no way to get updates - nothing was sent to us by email or text except to tell us the flight was cancelled. Nothing about how we had to proceed or what the airline could do for us.

We had to figure out how we got our luggage back, how we had to checkin again and then "start" our trip.

Date of travel: October 2018
1  Thank Nick D
Write a ReviewReviews (18,266)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We flew from overnight from Vancouver to Toronto...waited there 10 hours for our short connecting flight to St Louis. On the way home, early flight, shorter wait in Toronto. Flights were OK.

• Food and Beverage
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

On Thursday November 14th, I arrived 3 hours before my flight at the airport to stand in line for over 2 hours because AC's baggage belt was broken and they could not process our baggage. After expressing concern about the length of time and the possibility of missing our flight, we were reassured we would be fine. We were NOT. After a 2 hour wait to check luggage we waited an additional hour to go through security and customs because customs had 'closed their doors' - which, as AC noted, had never happened. By the time we got through we had missed our flight. There were NO apologies for the missed flight. We then stood in line for over 1 hour to reschedule our flight as there was only one person working at customer service. When we got to the front they asked 'well, why did you miss your flight?'. There was no accountability or apology for the fact that AC was at fault. Instead, we got to wait an additional 4 hours for a later flight. I could have driven to my destination faster. This is not the first time I have had a terrible experience with AC - the flight experience is always 'dependent on the day'. I WILL NOT be using their services again.

• Food and Beverage
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

June 27, 2018, my husband and I booked a trip to Las Vegas, flying Air Canada with a stopover in Montreal. The trip itself was to be November 3 to November 10, 2018.

Air Canada messed with our flights (and our peace of mind) both going and returning.

November 3, after booking our flight so long in advance and checking in 24 hours prior to the flight, we arrived at the airport over two hours in advance to find that my husband had been bumped down to standby. He was eventually granted a seat as the plane was being boarded, but it was a stressful two hours of waiting to see If we would make it to Las Vegas that day.

Prior to our return flight November 10, Air Canada changed our flights for the second segment from Montreal to Ottawa resulting in a stopover of over 3 1/2 hours for a 52 minute flight home.

This is the second time in two years that my husband or I have been demoted to standby at the airport by Air Canada, after having booked our tickets months in advance, and having checked in in advance as well.

This has never happened to me with any other airline.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I got many many bed bug bites on a flight from Casablanca to Montreal and then likely contaminated all the seats on the rest of my journey. I spent days doing laundry and decontaminating everything that touched the seat, a great inconvenience and expense for dry cleaning and the items I threw away and will have to replace. A nightmare!