“Customer Diservice”
Review of Air Canada

Reviewed 6 April 2018

On Monday March 13, I was scheduled to fly from Pearson Airport (YYZ) to Regan National Airport (DCA) in Washington to chair and participate in a series of meetings starting Tuesday, March 14 @ 1 pm. My confirmed reservation was MJBZUR and I had checked in online on March 12. When I got to the airport and checked the departure board, the flight was on time. At 3:35 pm on March 12th, while waiting at gate F66 for my 4:45 pm flight, I received an email message from Air Canada that my flight (AC 7618) had been cancelled; but I received no rebooking information. There was no announcement or any other notification or explanation for the cancellation. Unbeknownst to me, as I had received no advanced notice, despite being subscribed for flight notifications, Air Canada had suffered a major systems breakdown Monday morning and hundreds of flights had been cancelled. I lined up with at least 200 others to talk with an AC Service Agent. After almost 3 hours, most of it while standing (not a good idea with my back issues), I finally got to talk to an agent. She was sympathetic and said she was able to get me on a later flight (AC 7620) scheduled to leave at 8:55 pm that same day, which would allow me to get to my meetings. She handed me a boarding pass with my seat assignment (16D) and a $15 food voucher. I subsequently received another email message from AC advising me that I had been booked on another flight on Tuesday late afternoon, which would have been too late for me to attend my meetings in Washington. Since I thought I already had a confirmed seat, I thought it had to be a mistake. When flight 7260 was called, I stepped forward and presented my boarding pass. I was rudely told by the gate agent that I was not confirmed on the flight and she unceremoniously took my boarding pass and handed me a “standby” pass. Needless to say the flight was fully booked and there were only two seats available that were given to other passengers. I was livid at this inexplicable turn of events. I had to exit the airport through Arrivals and go through customs. I took a limousine home.
After trying unsuccessfully to connect with AC Customer Service on-line, I was finally able to reach an AC Customer Service agent by telephone later on Monday evening. She cancelled my trip and arranged a full refund for the airfare. .
My adventure was not over. Lo and behold, I received another notification on March 14, 2018 advising me that it was time to Check-in on AC7613 for my return flight to Toronto on the 15th, which I had already cancelled!!!!
I realize and accept the fact that delays happen and often they are beyond their control. What I do not accept is Air Canada’s callous attitude towards its customers and poor customer relations. Why aren’t they honest with their customers and simply acknowledge the problem. If we know what’s wrong, we can deal with it.

3  Thank Michael B
Write a ReviewReviews (14,705)

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Air Canada and Expedia,
a crazy combination.

I strongly recommend you do not use
Air Canada and Expedia to book your
travel in Canada.

I booked flights on line from Vancouver to YellowKnife round trip, business class,
we are screwed by Air Canada with an crazy zigzag flight plan.

Instead direct flight from YellowKnife back to Vancouver which is only 2 hours,
Air Canada wanting us from Yellow Knife
fly to Edmonton at 6:20am in the morning connecting another 2nd flight to Winnipeg, wait at Winnipeg airport for another 9 hours then fly us to Vancouver final destination which we will arrives Vancouver at 9:45pm evening. Spend a whole day travel from Yellowknife to Vancouver?

I called Air Canada many times in Hong Kong and they office staff refused to do anything and push all responsibility to Expedia. I told the staff that It does not make any sense flying us in business class in circle wasting Air Canada resources and our time. But Hk staff said that’s the rule and do not care we actually paid more money for our business class tickets.

I have called Expedia toll free number many times spoke to some one in New Delhi India who has only one thing to say: sorry we can’t change you plane ticket. Only Air Canada can. You need to talk to Air Canada.

As you can see from photo of flight plan and the way it travels, it is insane and not reasonable and Air Canada staff did nothing to help! It is like speaking to wall.

We end up buying another two sets of one way business return ticket from Yellowknife back to Vancouver.

We checked booking Air Canada on line and hotel website directly it is cheaper by US$466. We spent more money and gets frustration with Air Canada and Expedia. They really need to come up with better flight plan to their customer.

Reviewed 6 April 2018

in 2017 we traveled with air canada, when we were left orlando we had a 3 hr lay over in toronto..we stayed 1 1/4 hr in orlando waiting for them to deliver bottled water to the plane. By the time we went thru customs in toronto we had about 15 mins to catch our next flight, we ran to the gate and it had been changed(which is something they love to do) we made it to the gate just as the last passenger was boarding and that passenger had our seats...and they(the ticket agent) would do nothing!!...told us we would have to stay in the air port at least a few days before we would have a flight to moncton..After much discussion we finally got a flight to halifax that night, which is a 3 hr drive from our home and caught a plane the next morning for home..
In 2018 we again traveled again, coming home we were stranded because of a storm, which is understandable..this time when we rebooked we had to wait in the airport for 2 days, or so they said...we finally got a flight to saint john NB which is 2.5 hrs away from our destination and had to rent a car to get home..we'll be looking else where in 2019.

Reviewed 6 April 2018

We flew home from Australia on points in Business class. It definitely made the long trip way more enjoyable. Food and service was very good. Only complaint is trying to use our Aeroplan points. Tried for over 6 months several times a day to get a Business class flight from Toronto to Auckland with no luck.

Reviewed 6 April 2018

Direct flight was wonderful. There was a very nice selection of movies to watch. The stewards/stewardesses were very professional. There was a medical emergency near us...this is something you hope never happens. I could hear and see all the caring attention given to this person. I watched them test his blood pressure...I think a nurse or doctor was on the plane and asked many questions. We landed safely in Montreal and paramedics came on the plane and then we all departed. Altho we never think of these events, it was very reassuring to watch it play out and we were very impressed