“Sydney to Toronto”
Review of Air Canada

Reviewed 1 week ago

The quickest route way to fly from Sydney to Toronto. I was able to prebook my seats, however you do have to pay for the extra leg room on the exit rows. It is worth it.
I was disappointed however with the on board entertainment. The movies were old, nil new releases which is horrible on a long haul flight. Also after you change planes in Vancouver for the second leg of your journey, you must pay for your food, which is riduclous after the amount of money you've already spent for your flight.

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (10,280)

Reviewed 1 week ago

Only found out when we arrived at the airport that we had to pay for our checked luggage (travel agent didn't think to tell us in advance) - couldn't sit together because we weren't allocated seating until we practically boarded the plane (another first in our experience) and then a long and painful wait to go through security, with only one lane working but lots of staff standing around seeming to be catching up on their personal life stories. More than 2 1/2 hours to check in for a 1 1/2 hour flight. Certainly did not give us a good impression.

Reviewed 1 week ago

We had Economy seats at the back of the 787 aircraft. The flight was full and the cabin still felt spacious and comfortable. The flight departed on time. The crew were professional, cheerful and checked that all our requests were fulfilled. We arrived feeling rested.

Reviewed 1 week ago

My family (4 passengers including myself) were booked to travel from Miami to Toronto and Toronto to Tel Aviv on November 17, 2017.

The tickets were initially purchased on April 29, 2017. I called Air Canada several times after booking the flights to make sure that there was enough time to change planes in Toronto for the flight to Tel Aviv. Each time I called I was told there should be no problem. I was also told that checking my bags would be more efficient than going through customs in Toronto with carry-on luggage. When I checked in at the airport in Miami I spoke to the attendant at the desk who checked me in and took our baggage and was again assured that we would have time to make our connecting flight and that it was preferable to check our luggage.

The flight from Miami to Toronto (AC1643) was delayed by 30 minutes. At this time I spoke with the agent at the gate and was told this would not affect getting to our connecting flight.
Approximately 45 minutes before the flight was to land in Toronto, there was an announcement over the PA system stating that all passengers booked on the connecting flight to Tel Aviv had been re-booked on a flight leaving on November 19 - 2 days later! This was extremely upsetting news. We spoke with several flight attendants and were advised to try and make a run for the connecting flight.

We had booked this vacation 7 months in advance. Significant planning and expense went into the arrangements and we were horrified to think that we were going to lose 2 days of vacation because of a 30 minute flight delay. We took the advice of the flight attendant and my wife and I, along with our 2 daughters ages 14 and 11, ran as fast as we could through the Toronto airport, got cleared through customs, and made it to the gate for the flight to Tel Aviv with 15 minutes to spare.

The gate agent for flight 84 to Tel Aviv was very rude and refused to let us board. He stated that he could not let us fly to Tel Aviv without our checked baggage. Another man who traveled with us on the flight from Miami to Toronto arrived after us and he was allowed on the plane with his carry-on luggage.

After being blocked from boarding flight 84 we waited nearly an hour at the Air Canada customer service desk and were eventually re-booked on a flight to London and then on a British Airways flight from London to Tel Aviv.

We arrived in Tel Aviv approximately 7 hours later than our originally scheduled flight and had to endure the stress and hassle of another flight change in London which involved taking a tram and a bus.

When we arrived in Tel Aviv our bags were not on the flight with us. We were extremely upset because we had lost one day of our special vacation. And on top of that - we were told that we had to endure all of this extra travel because we couldn’t fly without our bags. Imagine our reaction when we finally landed in Tel Aviv and our bags weren’t even on the flight with us!
When we went to the QAS counter at Ben Gurion airport - the company that handles the lost luggage - the attendant said he had worked there for 25 years and had NEVER heard anyone told they couldn’t fly without their luggage. He said we should have been allowed on the flight from Toronto to Tel Aviv and then claimed our luggage as lost in Tel Aviv. Which is what we had to do anyway.

We spent another hour at the airport filling out forms for the lost baggage. We then spent a great deal of time the next day trying to ascertain the location of our bags and trying to reach someone at the airport who could tell us when we would receive our luggage. By Sunday evening, November 19, we eventually learned that our luggage had arrived on a flight from Frankfurt on Lufthansa at 17:20.

At this point we did not know what to do. We were scheduled to leave on a tour of Israel at 9am on Monday, November 20. Our luggage was at the Tel Aviv airport, yet we were told that it would not be delivered until the following day, after we were supposed to have left on our tour. At 10pm on Sunday November 19 my wife and daughter decided to go to the airport to try and retrieve the luggage so that we could leave on our tour the following morning as scheduled. In addition - we had been wearing the same clothing for 3 days and desperately wanted our luggage with our clothing and toiletries and medicine. My wife jumped through many hoops at the airport, spoke with many security people, and was finally allowed into the baggage area where she found the luggage sitting next to the carousel.

Air Canada made a number of grievous missteps in this situation. If a 30 minute delay is enough to prevent someone from missing a connecting international flight, then the computer system should never allow anyone to book this itinerary. Not only that, at least 5 Air Canada employees assured us we would have time to make the connection, even with the 30 minutes delay.

To announce to passengers mid-air that they have been re-booked on a flight taking off 2 days later was a grievous mistake. It caused significant distress and there was no way to get additional information while in the air.

The manner in which we were turned away at the gate for the flight to Tel Aviv, while we watched a passenger who arrived at the gate after us allowed on the flight, was terrible. It is obviously not true that passengers cannot fly without their checked baggage if that is exactly what we ended up doing! We were traveling with children on an already arduous flight which was made significantly more arduous and lengthy because we were not allowed on the flight to Tel Aviv. We were there in time to board the plane!

We lost a full day of vacation, had to purchase toiletries, spent hours trying to locate the luggage and figure out how to get it before we were to leave on our tour, and had to pay for a taxi to and from the airport to retrieve the luggage. All of this was an extremely stressful and upsetting way to begin our dream vacation.

They would not even reimburse us for the additional taxi trip to the airport to pick up our bags two days after we arrived.

Reviewed 1 week ago

Purchased an Air Canada Vacations package on Black Friday ( had been watching the prices for a month) saw a better deal in their website on Cyber a Monday. Contacted them immediately...thought that a reputable company would honour the difference....because I had neglected to click a fine print button, I was out of luck....will enjoy this holiday....then no more AC Vacations for me - many other companies would ensure customer satisfaction.