“a real ordeal”
Review of Air Canada

Reviewed 23 August 2017

Unacceptable delays, passengers not informed what's going on, it looks like Air Canada doesn't care at all about the lack of service

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (10,865)

Reviewed 23 August 2017 via mobile

I'm a Canadian who has lived in Asia for several years now, so I've gotten accustomed to the courteous service on airlines such as JAL, China Airlines, Korean Air, Cathay Pacific, Thai Airways, etc.. Maybe I've been spoiled by my pleasant experiences with those carriers and just expect too much now, but in comparison to the aforementioned airlines, Air Canada's service is terrible. They're not friendly, they don't smile-they do the bare minimum to give the customers what they need. When I asked any of the cabin crew any questions, they usually came across as harried and annoyed. The only exception I found to this was one Asian-Canadian flight attendant who seemed to genuinely care about her customers. It's not a pleasant experience when you need to spend 12 hours with unfriendly people serving you on an airplane. After the first few hours passed, all the lights were turned off and the cabin crew disappeared. This is normal on a long haul flight to let everybody have a chance to rest/sleep, but unlike other airlines I've travelled with, the Air Canada crew rarely came around to offer drinks. I got quite thirsty at some points, during the flight, from the lack of service...a couple times there was actually someone offering drinks , but they walked past so quickly, that I had to ring the service bell for them to come back to my seat. I felt there was an overall feeling of doing the job begrudgingly...I know flight attendants get good benefits, but if they don't actually enjoy working with people, maybe it's time to find another job...? I had been happy to hear that AC had opened up the Vancouver to Taipei flight again, but I ended up being quite disappointed with their service. I'd much rather fly on an airline where I feel welcomed, not where I feel like I'm bothering the very people who are paid to help me.

1  Thank TeacherKirsti
Reviewed 23 August 2017

Yet again, Air Canada let's us down with delays and inexcusable problems. Flight was close to 3 hours late getting out of Montreal. Weather. If it had been on time in the first place it could have made it out. Worst was the arrival into Vancouver. They couldn't get the gate to work so we could not deplane! Sat there for 45 minutes they had to go to another gate to get off. This really is the Third World when it comes to travel.

• Food and Beverage
Reviewed 23 August 2017

First and only time I'll be flying with Air Canada. Booked Boston to Mumbai flights with a Toronto layover. Two days of cancelled flights due to thunderstorms, that's fine but the rebooking customer service was unprofessional in attitude and inaccurate between what I was told would be the new itinerary and what was actually given to me. The kick is my original flight ended up making it out of the thunderstorm but because I arrived early to the airport they moved me to an earlier flight that was cancelled and wouldn't move me back to the original flight. Both flights I finally flew on after all the cancellations were delayed by an hour with no explanation. Then my checked bag apparently never even left Boston with me. The Mumbai airport baggage reps entered my report information incorrectly and didn't point out what I needed to know to access WorldTracer follow-up logs. The Air Canada website is uninformative and the few provided contacts either didn't go through or never went off waiting on hold (I've tried both in and outside of US/Canada contacts). Finally called at the right time of day to catch a Mumbai airport rep again and was told my bag would arrive two days after my original arrival, as well as the WorldTracer reference number I should've been given from the beginning. Double checked again after my bag transport flight took off today that my bag had been placed on it, airport rep says yes Air Canada logged that it had made it on (~3pm local time). Call to check that the airport had collected it after the flight arrives and no one is picking up anymore (~10:30pm local time) so I look on WorldTracer and what do you know, new bag route is listed as Toronto to LONDON then Mumbai, ANOTHER 2 days of delay. At this rate I don't trust that will even go through. Was on hold for a 40 min with Air Canada's Baggage Services number which they claim is 24/7 but I've yet to talk to any real human being. The automated machine actually hung up on me after the first 15min call on hold. I haven't even mentioned the weirdly unprofessional customer service by crew on the international flight where a bunch of people weren't even served meals because they didn't have enough food, especially the popularly requested vegetarian option. Seriously?! Know your audience and do your basic job. This has been such an excessively unnecessary stress. Final conclusion: bag arrives 4 days delayed with a tear in one of the zippers and I still need to go through the interim expenses claim process which they say will take weeks to process. It's a gift that keeps on giving.

• Food and Beverage
Reviewed 23 August 2017 via mobile

Once upon a time I was super elite with Air Canada and Star Alliance and then I moved across the world and didn't clock as many miles. Today they reminded me why I so enjoyed being a loyal traveller in spite of the many many hours in airports and onboard airplanes.

I am well aware of the importance of miles flown and the recognition it brings. Today Air Canada truly did what so many hospitality organizations aim to do - they both surprised and delighted me with an unexpected welcome at the top of the jet way at YYZ with my name on a tablet and a warm welcome from the lovely Elizabeth in their Concierge department. She escorted us to a waiting BMW with an equally friendly driver (I'm so sorry not to remember his name) and delivered us so swiftly and seamlessly from domestic to international and right up to the Maple Leaf Lounge.

Brilliant!

Well done Air Canada. You continue to make me nostalgic and proud to be Canadian. I will always look out for our maple leaf on the tail wing no matter what airport I find myself in.