“small and very friendly airline”
Review of Porter Airlines

Reviewed 6 April 2018

Small company where the pilot came out of the cockpit and made sure to say hello to every person on the plane one at a time. Where do you get that kind of service anymore?

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (1,310)

Reviewed 6 April 2018

I've lost track of how many times Porter has changed or outright cancelled flights on us. Weather issues are one thing - 'mechanical' issues on beautiful spring days, is another. It's common knowledge that they'll cancel if the flight isn't that full. I've also heard they've got pilot issues (not enough of them). Be thankful if they just rebook you on a later flight the same day, as most people get rebooked next day - or longer. And it's just getting worse & worse.

Unfortunately, living in Sault Ste. Marie, our options are limited: Porter or Air Canada (which is getting almost as bad).

In all fairness, though, when things actually run smoothly, Porter is a good airline. Great small airport, good prices (generally), good staff, and of course free drinks on board. Unfortunately, these experiences are now few & far between.

This last experience, on a beautiful sunny Sunday Mar 25th, was another typical Porter experience. Flight supposed to be at 12:40 or so, and get an email at 11 that it's cancelled and they rebooked us for 9:15. So instead of getting home early afternoon for a relaxing Sunday, it's get home after 11pm for a late / hectic Sunday. After being on hold with Porter for 20 minutes, I finally reached someone who told me it was 'mechanical' (ie. key word for 'no pilots') and I'm actually lucky that we're getting home the same day, as most people are being rebooked for Monday. Thankfully, our hotel gave us a late checkout (so made use of the spa, pool, etc), had a nice lunch, and fantastic dinner. So we made the most of our 9 hour delay in Toronto

All I can say is that if you're booking with Porter, I'd recommend 2 things: 1. If you have somewhere important to be, book an earlier flight - even a day before - as I wouldn't 100% count on them getting you there on time; and 2. Book all of your travel on Porter with a good credit card that has 'flight delay' coverage, so if you're stuck for a long delay or overnight - which is likely - all your meals & hotel will be covered.

Reviewed 5 April 2018

Free snacks, including beer and wine .. yah!!! Who does that anymore ... whats not to like? Smaller prop planes but overall good flight, friendly crew, super fast baggage recovery, great terminal at Billy Bishop Island Airport in Toronto.
No inflight entertainment, so bring your own jollies or snooze away!

• Legroom
    • In-flight entertainment (WiFi, TV, films)
Reviewed 5 April 2018

Ideally, this is the perfect way to go back and forth from Boston to Toronto. You land at Toronto City airport (Billy Bishop) and you can walk through the tunnel or take the ferry (10 minute ride) right to downtown. Once you're off the ground the service is friendly, the servers attractive, and you get wine with your terra chips. What is not ideal are the frequent cancellations, delays, or whatever that leave you uncertain whether or when you'll get to where you planned to go. I did not, as others claim, find the ground crew unfriendly...quite the opposite. I had the option to stay over night in Toronto or wait for a later flight. Being alone and not with kids in tow made it more possible to squeeze me in I guess. It's a great resource that I'll use again...just hope they're working on making it better.

Reviewed 4 April 2018

Fantastic Airline and will definitely fly again. We took the TTC to Union, was picked up by the free shuttle bus which dropped us off right at the door. Walked the underground tunnel, up the escalators and kiosks right there. Printed our boarding passes, security was a breeze and the lounge is fantastic. They were renovating so the seating was a bit tight and a bunch of flights were cancelled because of the weather. Complimentary refreshments and snacks were greatly appreciated. The plane is cozy, staff are very friendly, lots of legroom and the complimentary drinks are a nice touch. 2nd time flying with Porter and would definitely fly with them again.

• Legroom
    • In-flight entertainment (WiFi, TV, films)