“A flight made all the more comfortable in Economy X”
Review of Virgin Australia

Reviewed 18 February 2019

I flew from Sydney to Perth last week on a Virgin A330, and regretted not paying slightly more for Economy X, as my window seat (19A) had barely enough pitch for me to feel comfortable without getting up and moving around the aircraft.

During mobile check-in for the return flight, I decided to pay the extra $70 for Economy X (Seat 28A), and appreciated the vast increase in legroom on this exit seat, even though the priority boarding and screening benefits were not available at Perth Airport. Proximity to the lavatories was not bothersome.

Inflight experience was great with an adequate hot meal and drinks provided. Entertainment screens worked well.

For shorter flights (eg, Syd/Mel or Syd/Adel) I can handle regular economy but for future flights to and from Perth, Economy X will be a must for me.

• Food and Beverage
    • In-flight Entertainment
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and boarding
1  Thank Kristian W
Write a ReviewReviews (9,098)

Reviewed 17 February 2019 via mobile

I love flying Virgin, i mostly fly Business class. The service is fabulous & the meals on the plane are definitely amazing. I regularly use the lounge in Sydney, love the priority check in & seperate security. Flying overseas is even better with Virgin. Highly Recommend

• In-flight Entertainment
1  Thank juanitaheart
Reviewed 17 February 2019

Our previous experience of this airline was a couple of weeks before this flight...it was very positive...great staff...good service...a pleasant flight...so we had good expectations...oh how wrong we were...it was a quiet flight so pretty relaxed staff...oh yeah? The meal options looked fine...chicken, beef or a veggie pasta alternative...given our back of the plane position we did anticipate that choice might be curtailed...it was... but l wasn’t ready for the flight attendant who threw the tray at me saying very loudly “ that’s all we have left so you have not got a choice”...and walked away leaving my wife with nothing...now another attendant did come up with another tray of the pasta crap...it might have been better if she had’nt! So let me say now that l understand that they have limited storage options etc etc...my complaint is the attitude of this girl (you know who you are)...l also get the cheap and not to cheerful approach of low cost airlines...but please a little civility...in the end l concluded that this was a training issue and after many, many years of working in the service industry l am in a position to offer a very reasonable customer excellence training package to Virgin Australia at reasonsable prices...please get in touch...

Reviewed 17 February 2019

For our holiday in Rarotonga, we chose to fly Virgin Australia, Business Class. It was a far cry from our flight with LATAM Airlines Business class on our last holiday in Australia. On our way to Raro, the stewardess in charge of the Business Class seats asked if we want some drinks. I asked if they had my brand of beer and she said yes. She came back to say they don't have it, I asked for another brand and came back to say not that one either. So I just ended up asking what they have. The same with my wife... they offered Champagne but they actually didn't have it too!!! Landing was very rough. On our way back to New Zealand, was an improvement on seating, food and landing. Although you have to ask, they didn't offer this time!! Frustrating!!

Date of travel: January 2019
Reviewed 17 February 2019 via mobile

So, we purchased a Virgin gift card late last year and used for this flight home. When we couldn’t use it online to book the flight we rang and spoke with a lady who sorted for us. Unfortunately she used the gift card and also deducted from our credit card the full amount. We had to then sort out a refund from the airline which took ages. Ok so, we go to check my daughter in online 2 days prior to flight, which is where the gift card had been used and she couldn’t check in due to a charge outstanding on the flight. Well, there was no charge just the stuffing up by Virgin to start with. This then hampered the whole online checkin scenario which was never a problem just some notation on the account!! We arrived at the airport in Melbourne and did bag drop. I didn’t print out a boarding pass as it was on my phone. We checked the Departure board and it said Gate 4 for our flight. We headed to gate 4 after some food and no indication of the flight any where. My daughter pulled up on her phone that the flight was now departing from Gate 12. Why were there no announcements of some kind as Gate 12 was on the other side of the airport through security all over again. The man next to me on the plane also said he nearly missed the flight as he’d been waiting at Gate 4. When we got onto the plane we had a couple with twin 5 or 6 month olds and two little girls as well. They were doted on by the crew, getting down bags for bottles and making up bottles for babies, all while the babies and girls screamed!! I don’t really have a good taste in my mouth when I’ve been screwed around when booking flight, checking in for flight, being given wrong gate and then the attendants drooling all over these people. The kids got numerous snacks and things to play with while mum and dad sat back consoling screaming babies. Oh also on the way from Perth on Virgin the only inflight entertainment was on my phone, thankfully I bought a book at the airport. No entertainment in backs of seats but there was on the flight home. Why is there no consistency with inflight entertainment??