“I don't think I will be using them again”
Review of Flybe

Reviewed 6 April 2018

Back last Summer I booked a 3 night stay for me in and my partner in Hamburg for early March and had made the booking through Expedia.

Our flight was with Flybe and was due to depart Birmingham International at around 10,30 on Thursday Morning, returning to the UK on Sunday afternoon.

A few days before we were due to fly, I went on to the Flybe website to do the online check in and was very surprised to see that our flight was no longer at 10.30 but now didn't depart until 17.00! It essentially meant that we would miss a whole day of our trip meaning we couldn't do a planned daytip to Lubeck.

I eventually found out that our morning flight had been cancelled several months earlier and anyone who had been booked on that flight had automatically been transferred to the late afternoon flight, but neither Expedia nor Flybe had bothered to inform us, however worse was to come.

We eventually made our Journey to the airport, the date being 1 March 2018, the day 'the beast from the east' hit the west midlands'. We had been fearing all day that our flight would be cancelled but when we arrived at BI our flight was still listed as being on time. We then relaxed and had a couple of drinks in the departure lounge and were eventually called to board the plane.

Shortly after boarding we were informed by the Captain that there would be roughly an half an hour delay as work needed to be done to clear snow from the runway. We sat patiently for around 50 minutes before the captain gave us a further update at which point he told us the runway was due to reopen within the next few minutes and he expected us to take off in around half an hour. However the plane never went anywhere. Roughly 45 minutes later we were eventually told that Flybe had taken the decision to cancel the flight as there was an 23.00 curfew in force at Hamburg and it was no longer reasonable to think the flight could take off and land before this point.

We were kept for close to another hour on the plane due to a path needing to be cleared for us to get back to the terminal.

To be honest I don't hold any ill feeling to Flybe for what had happened up to this point. The Captain did keep us informed of the situation and was very sympathetic to us, as were the cabin crew and as far as I'm aware no other flights managed to take off that night and the situation was purely down to the bad weather.

However it was how we were treated after we left the plane which has caused me great issue. Once back into the terminal we were advised to go to the Flybe desk to see if our flight could be rescheduled. We were kept in a queue for over an hour when the man at the desk (there was only one person at the desk to deal with several hundred passengers) shouted something out few of us could hear I eventually found out he said the flights for the following day were full. I wondered away from the queue and eventually found a member of the Flybe staff and asked her 2 questions:

1. Was there any chance of us getting allocated a seat on an alternative airline the following day? she told us they did not have the facility at the airport to be able to do that but if we rang the call centre they may be able to help us.

2. Would we be given accommodation for the night? we were then simply told no as there were no hotel rooms available, I asked where were we expected to stay, she said she didn't know.

We then tried calling the call centre but it had closed. Given how bad the weather was we thought it would be foolish to try and get home that night as we had travelled to the airport from Malvern by train where we had parked the car. All trains going in that direction either seemed to be cancelled or there were big delays. Eventually we managed to get on a train back to Birmingham City Centre where we able to get a Hotel room for the night which I for out of my own money.

We tried again first thing in the morning to contact the Flybe call centre but were put on hold for over an hour and eventually gave up. We then made our way back home. Once back at home I contacted Expedia to see whether our trip could be rearranged through them or whether I could get my money refunded. Expedia told us the trip would need to be rearranged within 7 days otherwise I would be entitled to a refund. I told them it wasn't possible for us to make the trip within 7 days so I would have a refund.

To Expedia's credit they refunded me the money for the cancelled flight and the hotel booking within a few days but told me as our return flight from Hamburg wasn't cancelled Flybe would need to reimburse me for this. I was initially told I would get this money back within 10 working days and I didn't. I tried again after the 10 days were up but was then told refunds are currently taking around 20 days to process! it's now been 5 weeks since the aborted trip and still no sign of that refund from Flybe. It's the first time I've booked a flight with them and almost certainly now the last.

Date of travel: March 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (5,821)

Reviewed 6 April 2018

Quick early morning flight over to Amsterdam. We were boarded quickly having checked in online. Pleasant be attentive flight crew. Only one toilet on board but the flight was barely 90 minutes so it wasn't a problem. Pleasant trip and I'd fly with them again

Date of travel: March 2018
Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

Flight due to take off at 5.10pm, no announcement on why delayed. Finally boarded around 5pm and sat on tarmac for 30mins...finally took off, still without any announcement as to why.

Delayed to an issue with the aircraft and seating arrangements on the plane!

Date of travel: April 2018
1  Thank JanWard85
Reviewed 5 April 2018

Flybe's biggest draw was offering a service from my local airport. The check-in window is a little short at 36 hours and Faro airport did not accept boarding passes printed online, so I had to be sent to check in for the return fllight.
Outbound, the flight was full. At boarding, there was a single member of staff who measured each bag that was being taken onto the plane. Boarding was slow as a result but the flight was only slightly late taking off.
The return flight was also delayed - taking off an hour later than scheduled as it was late arriving. This flight, though, was only half full and I upgraded myself to an extra legroom seat.
Staff on board were pleasant and relatively unobtrusive on both journeys. The planes looked their age, but there were no issues in flight. The plane format was 2x2 with 124 seats in total. On the return journey, only the toilets at the back of the plane were operational. Legroom in the standard seats was just about adequate for me at >1m90 with the bumf removed from the pocket of the seat in front.

Date of travel: April 2018
    • Seat comfort
    • Customer service (e.g. attitude, care, helpfulness)
    • Legroom
    • In-flight entertainment (WiFi, TV, films)
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Reviewed 5 April 2018

OK, Exeter isn't LAX. You park the car, cross the road and you are in the terminal. The woman who checks you in also leads you onto the plane, which is also parked just across the road, and between the two there is a rather good coffee bar serving croissants. Do you think God is a Devonian?.
Onto the plane, a mid-size Brazilian number with 2 rows of 2 leather seats, separated by a thin strip of carpet. I have no further comment except to say they are comfortable. Really.
My wife was about to have a hip replacement so we were on assisted boarding, which we didn't need until we got to Malaga. The staff there were brilliant.

Food on the airplane was not as objectionable as some (EasyJ, for instance) but you wouldn't need to tweak it much to make it truly hideous. We are from the West Country - just give everyone a pasty for heavens sake.

I am looking for a reason to fly with them again - preferably from Exeter.

Date of travel: May 2017
    • Seat comfort
    • Customer service (e.g. attitude, care, helpfulness)
    • Food and Beverage
    • Legroom
    • In-flight entertainment (WiFi, TV, films)
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)