We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marina - Several questions.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon, Samana Province, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,251 posts
219 reviews
Save Topic
Marina - Several questions.

Actually what can be found at the marina?

In the reviews of 2017 i can read that most shops are closed, just a couple of bars and one resturant are open. Is this information accurate?

Are any of this services still open there?

a) Supermarket Marjane

b) Pharmacy

c) Bank

d) Post office

Many Thanks in Advance.

14 replies to this topic
Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
11,864 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marina - Several questions.

Nothing much will have changed. The Marjane is quite small and doesn't sell alcohol. The marina is quiet most of the year though it might burst into action for a couple of weeks in the summer. There are some basic shops in the original town of Saidia which is a bit to the east.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,251 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marina - Several questions.

Thanks for the fast reply.

If Supermarket Marjane doesn´t sell alcohol, can i find premium brands in a store at the original town of Saidia? If so, in what store(s) and how are the prices?

Also, is the Pharmacy, Bank and Post office open? I would like to send some postcards... and in my research the only post office one i "see" is at Boulevard Hassan II, downtown Saidia.

Edited: 25 February 2018, 10:55
Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
11,864 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marina - Several questions.

As far as I know I am the only regular on here who has visited Saïdia (twice) so you won’t be getting a pile of help. With such a ghost town places might close or reopen, who knows?

If there was a post office in the original town of Saïdia then it’s likely to still be there.

Premium brands of alcohol? If you are lucky you might be able to track down a back street source of lager and red wine.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,251 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marina - Several questions.

Yes, who knows what will be open in the Marina... If that's the place you mention, it's a wild guess to know what's closed, open or re-open...

I'll report back what i've found after my vacation there in the end of June...

Regarding the post office, if you say that likely should be there, i will bet on it... i "see" that the distance is 6kms from the Iberostar. Do you know the price of a taxi to get there and return back? Or there's another transportation that you recommend besides taxi? We don't want to walk +/- 1h each way...

So, no premium brands of alcohol... How much can i take in my luggage?

Berkane, Morocco
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Marina - Several questions.

I live near the resort so can give a full breakdown of shops etc. I was there yesterday.

In the Marina there is a Pharmacy, Marjane supermarket, about 5 open restaurants, 3 banks and a post office.

All of these are open all year round.

In the town of Saidia there are no supermarkets but many smaller shops that can provide almost anything you need. Hospital, pharmacies, banks and the bigger post office.

There is what the Brits call an "off licence" a shop that sells just alcohol. All brands available, the imported brands will be expensive. Moroccan wine is very good quality and a cheaper option. The Iberio Star will be serving free alcohol if you are all inclusive.

Not sure what will be open end June but the summer will have a new water park, jet ski's and paragliding etc.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
11,864 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marina - Several questions.

@mikegale1m: "Not sure what will be open end June"

Reminds me of where we live in Spain. Last June was a heatwave with 42ºC even though we are 1000m up in the mountains, but the local swimming pools weren't open because, "It's not summer yet".

Glad to hear there's an off-licence, I just can't imagine a holiday resort where you can't buy some bottles or wine or beer to drink in your apartment.

Berkane, Morocco
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Marina - Several questions.

Yes, it's a shame they can't think of ways to make the season longer, I guess it's supply and demand though.

What also needs to be taken into account is that Ramadan finishes about June 14th this year. So the season may well be longer than it has been previously when Ramadan was later in the summer.

In the Saidia region it depends on school holidays in Europe. That will be when the Moroccan ex-pats return home to see their families and the restaurants will have customers.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
11,864 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marina - Several questions.

What would revolutionise the situation is if the Algerian border reopened and I can't help wonder whether this was one of the factors. This was a popular area for Algerian visitors before.

Berkane, Morocco
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Marina - Several questions.

Opening up the border would create many new opportunities for the region. The border closing in Oujda certainly caused problems for people who invested in hotels and shops along what they thought would be a major transport link across North Africa. From what I understand it's unlikely to happen in the near future.

Saidia's main problem is that it was conceived during the property boom. There was no due diligence done by the Moroccan Government and it allowed speculators and some rather dodgy characters to take charge. Sadly the Government wants to now distance themselves from the project because it has been such a disaster.

I have always hoped it would be a success and that it could bring much needed income to the region. It has fantastic potential if given over to the right people to manage.

From the town of Saidia you can look across at the beach in Algeria, their beach looked empty too.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,251 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Marina - Several questions.

@mikegale1m - Thank You SO Much for your information!!

We'll arrive at 16th June and it's really good to know that the Pharmacy, Marjane supermarket, about 5 open restaurants, 3 banks and a post office are open. In that way we don't need to go to town to send postcards home or to get some money for shopping and a drink.

The "off-licence" is a plus, because i really don't know if the alcohol at the Iberostar will be good and i can only enter with 1L... I'm not looking for wine but for Rum... We're Dark Rum lovers...

Reply to: Marina - Several questions.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Saidia
Recent Conversations