We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in Santa Marinella for a week/commuting 2Rome?

Level Contributor
3 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
Stay in Santa Marinella for a week/commuting 2Rome?

We are going to visit Rome for a week next October & are considering staying in Santa Marinella. Plan is to commute by train everyday. Anyone think this is doable and/or a good idea?

6 replies to this topic
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,273 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay in Santa Marinella for a week/commuting 2Rome?

Check current train schedule to Rome www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay in Santa Marinella for a week/commuting 2Rome?

Hi

Did you do this ? If so was it a good idea.

Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,204 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay in Santa Marinella for a week/commuting 2Rome?

I would not consider this a good idea. Most trains between Santa Marinella and Rome take 75 minutes, so that is 2h30 out of your day just for travel.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,161 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay in Santa Marinella for a week/commuting 2Rome?

Sidneynick's point is a good one. It is doable, as we (and countless others) did it one time off a cruise ship in nearby Civitavecchia, and the rides were about an hour each way. And local commuters do it every day to jobs in Rome. So if you don't want to stay in one of the world's great cities for any of many reasons, you could do it.

I love staying right in Rome, though.

Europe
Level Contributor
2,593 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay in Santa Marinella for a week/commuting 2Rome?

Why would you want to do this?

As pointed out, you'd be spending a more than 2 hrs a day in transit. Santa Marinella is ok as a beach resort, but it's not a very interesting town compared to some other options.

So it depends on what you're trying to get out of this but it's not something I'd personally would ever consider.

Level Contributor
3 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay in Santa Marinella for a week/commuting 2Rome?

Our plans have changed somewhat but we still are flying to Rome & then going straight to S Marinella for 3 nights. We'll go to Rome at least for 1 full day. Then off we go to several other cities in Italy, then back to Rome, staying in the city several days before we head up to Lake Como, then Milan. I do realize there is a train commute but we are attempting to "be Italian" for 3 weeks so thought it might be relaxing for the first few days. We go in October. Thanks to everyone for information and encouragement

Reply to: Stay in Santa Marinella for a week/commuting 2Rome?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Santa Marinella