We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Info for those travelling from Rome to Santa Marinella

Wiesbaden, Germany
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Info for those travelling from Rome to Santa Marinella

We just made the journey to Santa Marinella during our stay in rome and thought the info might be useful to someone else. The beach was beautiful here and we were very glad that we made the daytrip out to enjoy the water!

We could not use the automated ticket machines at Rome Termini Station for some reason but had to go to the counter and buy the tickets: 4.50 Euro each, each way and children (under 4 I think) are free.

Note to get to Termini early as the train leaves from platform 28, meaning we had to RUN out 1/4 mile or more to the end of the station to make our train. Trains leave every hour or so. You have to stamp your ticket in a green machine before you board the train. It is about an hour ride, but very worth it.

We arrived and walked out of the station, walk a block straight, then turn right and walk a block...you will see the beach on the left side. The free beach is on the sides, you have to pay to be in the center (someone will come up and offer you an umbrella or chairs (about 10 Euro each). We were glad we did once we saw how crowded the free beach gets at noon. Bring your towels, did not see any lockers, but we didn't ask either. There is a small snack station above the beach.

When we left, we stopped at the bakery close to the train station (excellent canoli!)

If you have any questions, I will try to answer.

37 replies to this topic
Herefordshire
Level Contributor
2 posts
78 reviews
1. Re: Info for those travelling from Rome to Santa Marinella

Hello, we are thinking of staying in this town for one night before going to the airport the next morning. Is it quite a nice seaside town did you think, and does it have any nice cafes or restaurants?

Kind regards

Diane

Wiesbaden, Germany
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Info for those travelling from Rome to Santa Marinella

Hello Diane,

We only walked from the train station to the beach (about two blocks), but it did look like a nice town. I read it is one of the nicer beaches, and we were very satisfied with it. We ate at a little café that was good and I saw rave reviews for a seafood restaurant in town, but we didn't get to try it. I think you would enjoy staying the night, but I'm sorry I can't offer any more specifics. The train station is small and isn't always attended, so just make sure you get your tickets in advance.

Hope this helps some!

Pasadena, CA
Level Contributor
12 posts
27 reviews
3. Re: Info for those travelling from Rome to Santa Marinella

Thanks for a lovely review. I've been wondering how to find a nice beach for a day trip from Rome while we are there. Someone mentioned Santa Marinella (without details) and your review answered all my questions1

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Info for those travelling from Rome to Santa Marinella

Hi, Thank you for the info! Just wondering what day you went the beach? I heard the weekends are busy at the free sides of the beach.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
29 reviews
5. Re: Info for those travelling from Rome to Santa Marinella

Hi we are going to santa marinella for a week in September. Can you tell me what is the destination of the train to santa marinella. Thanks simon

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
18,291 posts
43 reviews
6. Re: Info for those travelling from Rome to Santa Marinella

"Can you tell me what is the destination of the train to santa marinella."

It's impossible to say as some trains that stop at Santa Marinella will end at Civitavecchia while others will travel on to Grosetto and beyond.

It's better to know the number of the train you want as that will be posted along with the time. Note the comment above about regional trains to Santa Marinella from Termini; they depart from the remote tracks that are three full blocks away from the main track head.

Look at this map of Termini station; choose the platform level and look toward the top for tracks 25 - 29, this is where the train will depart from. http://www.romatermini.com/en/map/

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
29 reviews
7. Re: Info for those travelling from Rome to Santa Marinella

Ahhh so can we catch any of the trains to them destinations. ??

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
18,291 posts
43 reviews
8. Re: Info for those travelling from Rome to Santa Marinella

No, you need a train that stops at Santa Marinella. Not all do.

dublin
Level Contributor
65 posts
24 reviews
9. Re: Info for those travelling from Rome to Santa Marinella

Planning on going to Santa Marinella beach while in Rome in July. But checking the trains from Termini to Santa Marinella all results come up N/A, am I doing something wrong in my search, or are the trains no longer running to this destination.

Would be most grateful if anyone can help.Thanks in advance.

Jane.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
18,291 posts
43 reviews
10. Re: Info for those travelling from Rome to Santa Marinella

You are looking too far in advance, these are regional trains and they don't show up on the schedule that way. Simply check the same day of the week you are interested in for this week and you'll see the entire schedule.

Reply to: Info for those travelling from Rome to Santa Marinella
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Santa Marinella