We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency & Thomson trips

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Currency & Thomson trips

Hi, I've been reading mixed reviews about what currency to bring so I just wondered to anyone who has been there recently, what did they recommend? Is it better to have Jamaican dollars or US dollars over there and is it better to exchange over there or before you leave?

Also has anyone done any of the Thomson trips and if so what are the prices? Thanks!

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,350 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency & Thomson trips

There is no reason to exchange Sterling to USD so someone exchanges the USD to local currency. Only the banks win. Use local currency. Sure USD is accepted but someone is setting the exchange rate and it won't favour the tourist. ATM is a good source for local currency.

York
Level Contributor
3 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency & Thomson trips

Hi, you need USD as these are accepted & essential for departure tax. It's also advisable to take some Jamaican dollars for tipping. Both are widely accepted. We've been a few times & going I again shortly and always take a mixture. Hope this helps.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,350 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency & Thomson trips

You can use, but you don't need USD.

4. Re: Currency & Thomson trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2016, 20:00
Edited: 23 January 2016, 20:00
Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,350 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency & Thomson trips

Because, like you, I have to change my home currency for hotel, tips and incidentals, I simply go directly to JAD from an ATM (airport on arrival). The vendor (hotel or restaurant) will take your USD at their rate. They'll show both currencies. You can choose which you want to pay in even on your credit card.

Taxis will take $JA50 in lieu of $US5 and you'll save 15%. The same logic applies to tips. The locals eventually have to change USD to their local currency for everyday use. Somewhere, somebody will lose against the buy and sell rate. Bottom line is the more exchange steps, the more the banks get. If you have to exchange anyway, it is better to simply exchange to one currency one time. The big however is: if my home currency is USD I'd have less incentive to make an exchange for a short vacation. Google foreign exchange fees or something similar for info. No need to have multiple currencies.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency & Thomson trips

Hi Impulse, I did read about locally arranged trips being cheaper, but never done this before but might be worth a try!

To be honest, I'm still confused! Staying at the GPLH and I've read it is US$ so I'm wondering whether to take majority US$ and a supply of JA$??

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,350 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Currency & Thomson trips

Why?

8. Re: Currency & Thomson trips

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2016, 20:00
Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,350 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Currency & Thomson trips

The point is you can pay the excursions with JAD and avoid The extra conversion. If you choose to pay with a credit card you have the option of paying in USD or JAD. Just ask the two rates. Usually JAD will be in your favour.

10. Re: Currency & Thomson trips

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 27 April 2016, 14:16