We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Expedia is a thief

Las Vegas, Nevada
1 post
Save Topic
Expedia is a thief

I bboked a hotel online with expedia. When I went in to double check the reservation, the dates were wrong (short by one day on each side of the reservation). I called the customer service to add to the existing reservation. They told me it wouldn't be a problem and that it would be an additional amount. Then I saw my bank statement! They canceled the orginal (non-refundable) reservation and rescheduled so that I was charged for the whole balance again! When I called I got the run around, told that a supervisor would come on, and then put on hold again. Then I was told they were having problems with their system and that a supervisor would call me back in "1 minute", yeah that NEVER happened! DON'T ever use this company! I never will again! EXPEDIA are CROOKS!

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Expedia is a thief

That sounds like an ugly situation. Did you know that Tripadvisor is owned by Expedia? Good luck sorting things out.

Montego Bay
Level Contributor
986 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Expedia is a thief

I've used Expiedia once...won't use it again. Booked a hotel in Buffalo for my nephews wedding. Room was paid in full. Got to the hotel..they never heard of me, never got my reservation, and was told to take it up with Expedia.

I called them right away and they said there was no problem on their end, take it up with the hotel. After losing my cool they did refund my money and the hotel was able to give us rooms cheaper than Expedia :)

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
907 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Expedia is a thief

I've used expedia at least 30 times for trips over the years. They are fine unless you have a problem and need customer service. The two times I had to call Customer Service were a nightmare; I got the run around, got transferred repeatedly from person to person, got told I would be "called back" and wasn't. One call cost me $50 from the Bahamas only to basically be told that there was nothing they could do and I'd have to handle the problem on my own. The other time was when I was "price matching" my reservation and trying to get Expedia to honor their guarantee...I think they were hoping I'd give up.

Either way, I'm sorry to hear about your experience. That was definitely crappy what they did to your reservation without telling you. Do you have any recourse with your credit card company?

Mentioned in this post
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
Indiana
Level Contributor
10,652 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Expedia is a thief

Illinois
Level Contributor
5,235 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Expedia is a thief

Agreed about contacting your credit card company. I had to do it once with American Express, for a dispute on a traveling charge ( Air Jamaica when they cancelled all flights out of Chicago, and I had problems getting my money back ). I tried and tried on my own with no luck, but American Express resolved my problem, and it was a lot less headache then trying to handle it on my own.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,854 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Expedia is a thief

This is why I never use sites like Expedia, Orbitz or Travelocity. Too much room for error, no flexibility, ZERO customer service.

And when you figure out to the letter some of their package deals you can, with a little more leg work, do better booking directly through airlines and hotels.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Expedia is a thief

I usually refer to various travel sites for air fare but when booking always do it directly with someone on the phone at my preferred agency (none of the above). I've never had a problem.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
278 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Expedia is a thief

$hit, now I'm scared. I booked with Expedia and dont leave til may. Now I'm afraid my hotels not booked or booked wrong!!! Someone please tell me this was the exception and not the rule.

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,652 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Expedia is a thief

If it were the rule, they would be out of business.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
278 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Expedia is a thief

I just mean does this happen often.