We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New timings and information

Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
New timings and information

Hi,

I have heard there are new timings for Borobodur in June 2023. Anyone know what the timings are now, and what the best thing is to do? There is maybe a sunrise opening, and there seem to be certain times of day when you can climb on the monument, and other times you cannot.

I'd be glad of any information, also which entrance you have to use.

Thanks

Chris

7 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
1. Re: New timings and information

I had WhatsApped the temple management and they sent me this link to book temple climbing tickets: https://ticketcandi.borobudurpark.com/en/

Just booked our tickets here today for next week. Bookings for the week open a week in advance.

Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: New timings and information

Many thanks for this - it is really useful and I hadn't managed to find this before.

One other question which might be a really stupid one, but I cannot see what the difference is between the tickets described as Mandala, and those described as Mahakarya?

Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
3. Re: New timings and information

Even I'm not sure what the difference is since the description is the same. Might be just names for different groups.

4. Re: New timings and information

I asked temple management for difference between Mandala and Mahakarya and received following response .Quote

Hi,

There are no differences in each area, the difference is only in the theme, each theme has a unique and deep historical story about the origins of the creation of each masterpiece in Borobudur Temple. The theme of one and the other is equally interesting to visit. The following details the difference in themes :

Mandala :

Explore the splendor of the Old Javanese architectural masterpiece, Borobudur Temple. Walking from the east side, you will be invited to see the complete structure of the temple and stand at the location where the Maharaja of the Syailendra dynasty set his foot to worship the greatness of the Creator. While enjoying the beauty of the reliefs, you will be brought to understand the concept of human life in Buddhist philosophy wrapped in ancient Javanese culture.

MAHAKARYA

Get to know the majestic masterpieces left by our ancestors 1200 years ago. You will be amazed by the genius of the architects of the Borobudur Temple in creating a spatial layout for human contemplation as a form of gratitude. This is one of them that you can find in the reliefs of Lalitavistara. Take a closer look, this relief will be able to awaken your awareness through the description of the moral teachings conveyed by the Bodhisattva, being reborn as Sakyamuni/Siddharta

5. Re: New timings and information

Tripadvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet Tripadvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

What are forum guidelines?

India
Level Contributor
30 posts
310 reviews
244 helpful votes
6. Re: New timings and information

Thanks this is really helpful

Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
7. Re: New timings and information

Have just been to Borobudur today. Climbing ticket booked yesterday for 3.30 slot, arrived early and was able to go up in 2.30 slot as not full. Slots start on the half hour with entry to the actual temple from the hour eg 2.30 slot we were on the temple from 3-4

Reply to: New timings and information
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Australia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.