We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clean-up Kiritimati

Barendrecht, The...
4 posts
Save Topic
Clean-up Kiritimati

I wonder if there are pictures available of the Island after the great clean-up of all waste material left behind after the nuclear test .

I visited the Island myself before the clean-up and stayed at the Captain Cook. I had a wonderful week and really had a wonderful

time.

6 replies to this topic
sydney, australia
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Clean-up Kiritimati

there are a few if you do a general serach of kiritimati isalnd...quiet a few properties now on the island apart from Captain Cook Hotel....

U.S.A.
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clean-up Kiritimati

I was part of the Island Cleanup Project from August '05 to April of '06. I have pics of the cleanup in progress and of the stockpile of material in the holding center near the Jetty. But I do not have any of the completion. I possilbly have some contacts that do.

thomaslcecchi@yahoo.com

Barendrecht, The...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Clean-up Kiritimati

Dear Sir,

would greatly appreciate some pictures of the great 'clean-up', as I was invited by the English Defense to a site visit as part of the Tender to quote for the Project.

Kind regards

Verners B Jerins

Please reply on e-mail: vjerins@aol.com

Barendrecht, The...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Clean-up Kiritimati

Dear Sir,

would greatly appreciate some pictures of the great 'clean-up', as I was invited by the English Defense to a site visit as part of the Tender to quote for the Project.

Kind regards

Verners B Jerins

Please reply on e-mail: vjerins@aol.com

Barendrecht, The...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Clean-up Kiritimati

Dear Sir,

would appreciate to receive your pictures during clean up of the Island.

Please send to

vjerins@aol.com

Thank you

Verners B Jerins

Calgary, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Clean-up Kiritimati

It was an impossible job!!!

The island is way too vast! Even withing walking distance of the Hotel you can find a few holes left by the excavators, where you can tell they gave up looking for smaller pieces of rusted steel junk...

After half a century the saltbush has covered everything.... Quite a bit was missed... There is millions of broken beer glass bottles, and they spent weeks trying to pick up the pieces, and then gave up...

Huge desalinator boilers had long ago lost their asbestos insulation... Big rusted electrical transformers had long ago lost their PCB-laden oil into the water lens...

They cut up the huge fuel steel tanks in tiny pieces for export.... and took all the steel away... so now when we need a bit of metal for some repair we have to fly it in from HNL!!!

Etc...

Better late than never...

Chris

Reply to: Clean-up Kiritimati
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kiritimati
Recent Conversations