We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SSS! Skin So Soft

dublin
Level Contributor
137 posts
15 reviews
7 helpful votes
SSS! Skin So Soft

I know it has been brought to attention before, but I really couldn't recomend Avons SSS Skin So Soft the blue/green one as the best ever mosiqueto repellent! Its great, we swear by it and have been using it for years! Its very cheap and does the job.

Anybody any other top tips??

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
128 posts
78 reviews
95 helpful votes
1. Re: SSS! Skin So Soft

Vitamin B1, take it 2 weeks before travel and continue taking it while away, my wife swears by it and semms to work for her.

dublin
Level Contributor
137 posts
15 reviews
7 helpful votes
2. Re: SSS! Skin So Soft

nice one Latchie, may have to take a double dose as heading next Friday but will defo take that onboard for future travels!

Tam x

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
39 reviews
26 helpful votes
3. Re: SSS! Skin So Soft

Thanks for this tip. Me and the mrs went to Crete 2 years ago and she got eaten alive. Off to Spain this year so won't be too bad but back to Corfu in 2013 so will be packing the SSS.

Australia
Level Contributor
123 posts
4. Re: SSS! Skin So Soft

Latchie, Just wondering how much she takes, normal or high dose?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
10,052 posts
121 reviews
146 helpful votes
5. Re: SSS! Skin So Soft

I wouldn't rely on Avon S-S-S as your only mozzie repellant!

I've read a lot of posts on various holiday fora where people say it doesn't work for them.

When we went to Sri Lanka in 1996, Thomson sent us a booklet and it recommended Avon S-S-S bath oil spray (as it was called then), it was very greasy at that time.

Avon have changed it over time (and I believe they have just changed the packaging again).

It was, for a very brief time, marketed in the Avon brochure as a mozzie repellant but that was quite a few years ago.

I mentioned it to my Avon rep at the time who said it was useful for all sorts of things, even getting tar off a car bumper!

I have used it since 1996 as a mozzie repellant but would never rely on it on its own.

I use an after sun with insect repellant, then Avon S-S-S (it should be the Soft and Fresh (green) one) then Autan Tropical mosquito repellant.

I use plug-ins in bedrooms and any other main room, am careful not to sit near greenery or stagnant water, wear crops or long dresses (never shorts or short skirts) and if we're likely to be out all day into the evening, I make sure I take mozzie spray with me.

I don't know if it's the above combination that works but even in places where you see people with loads of bites I very rarely get bitten.

I personally think that mozzies like to munch on some people and give others a wide berth.

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
59 helpful votes
6. Re: SSS! Skin So Soft

And............. IF you are one of those people that Prettypollycat mentions (likely to get bitten) then take a daily non drowsy antihistamine tablet.

It really does stop itching and nasty reactions to any stray bites' :O) :O)

Edited: 22 July 2012, 17:15
Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,390 posts
137 reviews
134 helpful votes
7. Re: SSS! Skin So Soft

Here are my tips, that I have picked up from the forums and will be doing this year;

Avon SSS

Lemon and tea treeshower gel

Holland and Barrett B complex vitamins (can take up to 4 a day)

Gotcha! Mosquito electrical zapped (from aldi)

Anti histamine tablets

Hydrocortisone cream 1% for any bites

Boots sun cream and aftersun with insect repellant

Incognito incense sticks

Citronella candle for balcony

Boots pillow spray (geranium or lavender)

Tea tree oil

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
10,052 posts
121 reviews
146 helpful votes
8. Re: SSS! Skin So Soft

I always use Boots Soltan lotion with insect repellant, it's one of the few I've found with 5* UVA rating although I think Tesco may also be 5*.

I've seen some posts from people recommending Avon S-S-S as a sun cream.

It has no SPF at all so I'd never use it - but I do have very fair skin.

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,390 posts
137 reviews
134 helpful votes
9. Re: SSS! Skin So Soft

Nooooooooo that's just dangerous. You'd get burnt to a crisp. Not to mention dangers of skin cancer.

I did in the distant past use ambre solaire oil ( the smell of holidays)

In my olden wiser days I now start on f30 then drop to f15 towards end of hol. And f50 on my face.

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,390 posts
137 reviews
134 helpful votes
10. Re: SSS! Skin So Soft

Ps I realise you don't use it,I'm sure you can recognise the person who does by the wrinkled prune like skin or severe sun burn.

Get answers to your questions about Tsilivi