We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping in Refuge Cove vs Little Waterloo Bay

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Camping in Refuge Cove vs Little Waterloo Bay

We are planning on doing an overnight hike in the first week of January from Telegraph Saddle to Sealers Cove, Refuge Cove, Little Waterloo Bay, and then back to the saddle. Does anyone have any recommendations on whether to camp at Refuge Cove or little Waterloo bay? I've heard Refuge Cove is better for swimming so that might be nice, but camping at Little Waterloo Bay would help break up the trip better and require us to hike less the second day.

5 replies to this topic
Wilsons Promontory...
Level Contributor
64 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Camping in Refuge Cove vs Little Waterloo Bay

Before deciding on your route, I’d suggest contacting Parks Vic to see what camping permits are available. January is one of the busiest times in Wilsons Prom and you may be bound by what camp sites are available.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: Camping in Refuge Cove vs Little Waterloo Bay

Hi Angela,

Thanks for your advice. I've checked and both are available. Any recommendations re one vs the other?

Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
32 reviews
3. Re: Camping in Refuge Cove vs Little Waterloo Bay

If both are available from personal experience I really enjoyed Little Waterloo, but I've also heard great things about Refuge Bay from others. It'll be hot in the summertime and most likely super busy, I always preferred hiking the Prom towards the end of Summer - early Autumn so I'd highly advise if you want the experience without the super warm weather and crowds! But otherwise, hope you have a fantastic time :)

Montreal
Level Contributor
51 posts
80 reviews
4. Re: Camping in Refuge Cove vs Little Waterloo Bay

We loved LWB! Beautiful beaches. (Cold water)

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
5. Re: Camping in Refuge Cove vs Little Waterloo Bay

Thank you! Unfortunately, while I'm from Melbourne, I currently live in New York so peak summer season is the only time I can do the hike. I hiked only to Sealers Cove a few years ago so excited to do an overnight. Thanks for the tips - I booked a night in LWB. Thank you!

Reply to: Camping in Refuge Cove vs Little Waterloo Bay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Wilsons Promontory...