We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gorges du Verdon

Mount Hope, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
Gorges du Verdon

We will be travelling in Provence the last week of March and first week of April. We are hoping to visit the Gorges du Verdon. I was wondering if the road is open during that time or if it's closed for winter. Thanks for any help.

6 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,261 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gorges du Verdon

The road around the rim is a public road and is open at all times. In the depths of winter, it just might get closed by snow, but that should not be a problem in March or April.

Mount Hope, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gorges du Verdon

Thank you very much for your quick response. That is a huge relief. I know that out west in Canada some of the higher passes are closed in the winter....the thought suddenly crossed my mind that this could also be the case at the Gorges. Thanks so much!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,261 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gorges du Verdon

Mountain passes on minor roads can certainly be closed in winter, sometime for 5 or 6 months, but the road around the gorge is not all that high, and certainly not a mountain pass.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,180 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gorges du Verdon

No idea why you would think that the road to the Gorge is anything close to a "mountain pass."

And I don't know of "mountain passes" in Western Canada that are closed for the winter unless it is a secondary / logging road.

Grasse, France
Level Contributor
708 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gorges du Verdon

Hi pippili

It's a road I use quite lot throughout the year.

Just check the meteo France forecast before you set off. That's what I do at that time of year as late snow can be disruptive. They hardly ever close the road but sometimes snow chains etc are necessary.

We very nearly got caught out a couple of years ago at that time of year, fortunate to get out before the snow became really heavy.

They clear the road very quickly and salt it so generally speaking its fine. But if late snow is forecast think twice.

The snow pattern here for the last few years has been a slow start and late flurries.

Best

Peter

Mount Hope, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gorges du Verdon

Thank you for your reply Peter. I will keep the Gorges on our itinerary and keep an eye on the weather. The weather worldwide hasn't been as reliable as in the past and I like to be prepared before we head out on a trip.

Thanks for your help!

Reply to: Gorges du Verdon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Castellane