We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Verdon Gorge

Level Contributor
21 posts
Verdon Gorge

I have been obsessed with pictures of Verdon Gorge, and am trying my hardest to find a way to visit. I plan to be staying in both Avignon and Nice, but what have I seen so far it is easiest to catch a bus directly from Nice to Castellane (arriving at 9:30 am and leaving at 7:00 pm the same day). My main question, is how easy it to then access Verdon Gorge from the city?

What would be the best way to view and experience the Gorge? I have found a company with white water rafting, or have considered looking for kayaking or even just going for a hike. If a hike is what I decide on, is there any trails that are suggested? Any help or ideas on how to cross this amazing place of my bucket list would be greatly appreciated!

22 replies to this topic
Vence, France
Level Contributor
10,218 posts
149 reviews
11. Re: Verdon Gorge

... same is true for a "perfume experience" ;)

Maybe the tourist offices in Avignon or Nice can help finding a tour.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
24 posts
66 reviews
12. Re: Verdon Gorge

Hi tplus, we will be coming from Geneva, where is the nearest town to get a car? I read many are from nice, but it does not seem on the way as we are not interested in going there.

Vence, France
Level Contributor
10,218 posts
149 reviews
13. Re: Verdon Gorge

Which means of transportation? What's your itinerary?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
24 posts
66 reviews
14. Re: Verdon Gorge

Hi tplus, by train. I'm looking to train from Geneva to the nearest town of Verdon gorge, rent a car for a day. Return it, then continue my journey to barcelona by train.

Otherwise I was thinking, fly to Barcelona(we want to visit ibiza) from Geneva. Then take the train upwards to Verdon gorge area, then to Paris. Is it feasible? Thank you.

Edited: 10 October 2018, 04:08
Vence, France
Level Contributor
10,218 posts
149 reviews
15. Re: Verdon Gorge

I guess Digne or Magnosque would be closest train stations where you could rent a car. Return it in Nice and take a flight to BCN.

If you ask me I know even better scenery between Geneve and Marseille than the Gorges. I would make a 3 day road trip out of it.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
24 posts
66 reviews
16. Re: Verdon Gorge

Any suggestions please? I was also thinking of taking the train from Barcelona - perpignan- Grotte des Demoiselle- camargue then lastly Verdon gorge..

Vence, France
Level Contributor
10,218 posts
149 reviews
17. Re: Verdon Gorge

What time of year will that be?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
24 posts
66 reviews
18. Re: Verdon Gorge

Was looking at mid May 2019

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
24 posts
66 reviews
19. Re: Verdon Gorge

Was looking at mid May 2019

Vence, France
Level Contributor
10,218 posts
149 reviews
20. Re: Verdon Gorge

That's too early for the alpine crossing I had in mind...

Reply to: Verdon Gorge
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Castellane