We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Verdon Gorge

Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Verdon Gorge

I have been obsessed with pictures of Verdon Gorge, and am trying my hardest to find a way to visit. I plan to be staying in both Avignon and Nice, but what have I seen so far it is easiest to catch a bus directly from Nice to Castellane (arriving at 9:30 am and leaving at 7:00 pm the same day). My main question, is how easy it to then access Verdon Gorge from the city?

What would be the best way to view and experience the Gorge? I have found a company with white water rafting, or have considered looking for kayaking or even just going for a hike. If a hike is what I decide on, is there any trails that are suggested? Any help or ideas on how to cross this amazing place of my bucket list would be greatly appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Avignon
Avignon
Vaucluse, France
Castellane
Castellane
Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, France
11 replies to this topic
Vence, France
Level Contributor
9,230 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Verdon Gorge

You'll need a car.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
94,633 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Verdon Gorge

Hardly anyone lives in the area of the Gorge, and there is no public transport.

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
7,939 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Verdon Gorge

There are hiking routes through much of the gorge but they are considered to be both arduous and dangerous and, as such, are not at all suitable for casual hikers.

Roads run close to both lips of the gorge with a number of viewing sites but these are really only accessible to those with their own transport.

A short stretch of the lowermost part of the gorge is flooded, effectively as part of Lac St.Croix, and this can be accessed by kayak or pedalo from the Lac - but it is only a very short stretch and, of course, it lacks the gorge floor and isn't really at all typical of the gorge itself.

Other parts of the gorge are susceptible to sudden flooding if there is a release of water from one or more of the hydro-electric schemes upstream - one, but only one, of the reasons why hiking in the gorge is dangerous.

Finally, Castellane is still quite some distance from the gorge, as I said above, it is really only accessible if you have your own transport (or are on an organised excursion).

Mentioned in this post
Castellane
Castellane
Vence, France
Level Contributor
9,230 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Verdon Gorge

Seems there is a daily bus connecting Marseille and Castellane which calls at La Palud:

lapaludsurverdon.com/transports_lapaludsurve…

and even a shuttle for the hiking trail (season). But practically you'll need private transport or an organised tour. By car its an easy daytrip from Nice or Avignon.

Mentioned in this post
Marseille
Marseille
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
Castellane
Castellane
Avignon
Avignon
Vaucluse, France
Antibes, France
Level Contributor
10,748 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Verdon Gorge

There are bus tours from Nice and Cannes ... any travel agent or tourist office can give you details ... but I understand the standard tourist type coach (56 seater etc) is unable to do the complete circuit. Look out instead for (more expensive) tours by 8 seater minivans. I have not checked but it is possible these are available from Castellane.

BTW if you are flying in to Nice from the west you often get the best available sight you are ever likely to see of the Gorges from the left hand side of the aircraft.

Ed

Edited: 16 November 2015, 20:52
Mentioned in this post
Cannes
Cannes
French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, France
Castellane
Castellane
Vence, France
Level Contributor
9,230 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Verdon Gorge

IMHO the Gorges du Cians are equally impressive as you can actually drive through the gorges and not just stand at the rim. The right light onto the red rocks will give an unforgetable experience.

But the same, you'll need a car.

Mentioned in this post
Gorges du Cians
Gorges du Cians
40 Reviews
French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, France
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Verdon Gorge

Thank you for the advice! So would a shuttle from Nice to Castellane and an organized water activity from the city be my best bet to be able to actually view the Gorges then?

Edited: 17 November 2015, 04:04
Mentioned in this post
Castellane
Castellane
Vence, France
Level Contributor
9,230 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Verdon Gorge

I would not do white-water rafting when just there for the scenery. Your best bet is something like that:

viator.com/Cannes-attractions/…d786-a14190

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
7,939 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Verdon Gorge

You won't get more than a glimpse of a very unrepresentative section of the gorge from any water activity.

The very long and narrow main section of the gorge normally has no more than a small stream at the bottom - although that can quickly turn into a raging torrent if water is suddenly released from one of the upstream hydro-electric schemes.

The only way for ordinary tourists to see the gorge is to go to the various viewing areas along its rims and look down over the edge. These are only accessible if you have your own transport.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
10,748 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Verdon Gorge

The viator trips mentioned by tplus have several minivan tour options. Just beware those 'ceramic workshop tours' or you will end up with an armful of expensive pottery.

Ed

Reply to: Verdon Gorge
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Castellane