We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where are the supermarkets in Chaweng.....

Auckland NZ
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Where are the supermarkets in Chaweng.....

And do they sell fresh bread,pastries,cheeses,fruit,water,coca cola,juice,wine and beer at reasonable prices? Is it worth going to one and getting a taxi back to the resort (Amari Reef Palms) or is it just as good to pay more for the convenience at a 7/11?

Perth
Level Contributor
145 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where are the supermarkets in Chaweng.....

Tescos sells everything you would get in N.Z. we get bread ,ham ,salami ,donuts etc for our lunchs ,and take back to our hotel supermarket is big and they sell booze but dont sell till 5pm. Great fun looking around I even took photos of their lovely spices display. Hope this helps.

Ko Samui, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where are the supermarkets in Chaweng.....

There is a decent supermarket in central Chaweng called Tops situated behind Al's Resort (not Al's Huts). It is a nice walk on the beach from the Amari - maybe 20 mins. You will get bread, juice, wine etc. there. Cheese is pretty crap but you can get some half decent stuff. Ditto hams and cold meats. 7/11s in Samui don't sell fresh stuff so no bread, cheese or fruit. Alcohol is not sold between 2pm and 5pm so previous poster is partially right but you can buy in the morning - I think (not certain never up that early) from 9am but certainly after 11.

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where are the supermarkets in Chaweng.....

Alcohol sales are 11-2 and 5-Midnight.The Mom and Pop shops sell at any time.

Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where are the supermarkets in Chaweng.....

I also wrote a small article about supermarkets in Samui in my blog, check it if you want: www.myhomekohsamui.com/search/label/shopping

Auckland NZ
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where are the supermarkets in Chaweng.....

Thanks Elina,so practical and helpful

Glenmora, Louisiana
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Where are the supermarkets in Chaweng.....

Hi Elina,

Enjoyed your blog very much!! Your son is precious - please savor every minute, he'll be in college like tomorrow!! I have two sons, out of college and seems like yesterday they were your son's age - I'm not kidding.

I have reservations at San Souci Samui for our vacation in 2 weeks. Can you tell me best place for pedicure? You mentioned Doctor Fish (or whatever it's called) in Big C for a quickie, but I'll have lots of time. Also best place for massage? Planning on staying in area for 3 weeks then heading to Dubai. Also, can you tell me if it would be better to buy an international calling card in U.S. or Thailand? (or do you think matters) I've heard Thialand is the place to have your teeth whittened? True? If so, Koh Samui - Chaweng?

(I bet you've heard it all!!!)

Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where are the supermarkets in Chaweng.....

Hi, thanks a lot for your nice words!

Dr Fish is not really a pedicure, it's a big tank filled with water and lots of small fish which eats your dead skin (yucky :-)...no nails work there. To be honest after 4 years living here, I am still yet to find a good pedicure here...I do it in Bophut in salon next door to Bophut's 7/11, called Jo's salon, the owner Jo is quite good. But you can basically go to any nails salon, they are all pretty much the same, they are not too bad to shape, cut and work on cuticle, but I haven't seen anyone who can actually paint the nails without painting half of the finger, so I paint it myself. I did find a good manicure though - Japanese girl Satoko in Chaweng, small salon "Theresa" down the alleyway immediately after Red Snapper restaurant in North/Mid Chaweng, on the same side of the road, behind a few clothes stalls...Thanks God she was trained in Japan!

Massages - Chaweng is full of massage salons, you just have to go around and try different ones until you find the one you like.You see - I live in Bophut, I know a good guy here, I go to see him, but for you it's virtually impossible to travel every time to Bophut for massage, and I am pretty much sure that you will find lots of decent masseur/masseuse in Chaweng.

About the card - bying it in Thailand is much better, you can buy normal SIM card and call abroad adding 001 or 009 (if you buy "One -2-Call" card), or you can buy international calling card in 7/11 minimarkets, I personally just use my normal mobile SIM to call abroad (it's about 9Bt per minute to call to UK for example), or lately just Skype.

Whitening teeth - they do pretty good job here, my favourite dentist on the island is doctor Apichart who works in a dental practice Baan Luck Fan in Chaweng main road next to Chaweng Post Office, he is trained abroad in different countries, great doctor, very experienced and gentle, but...having worked as a dentist in my previous life before Thailand, I am just not a fan of whitening, cause it will usually make your teeth more porous and they will absorb colours much quicker then...you will have to whiten them regularly then. So, I just stick to what I've got :-)

Anyway, hope it all helps somehow, sorry about lack of information about massage, you can always drop me a line again, when you are here.

Perth
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Where are the supermarkets in Chaweng.....

Hi Elina,

I have just read your info on nails etc and have just booked to visit Koh Samui for the first time next April. I am flying via Phuket where I will stay for a few days but noticed you said you know a great dentist. Does he possibly do implants and crowns as I need to have some work on my teeth done and I was going to do it in Phuket but I would rather just go straight to Samui if i can get it done there?

P.S. If you could recommend a nice resort, probably in Chewang but not directly in the hussle and bussle perhaps. We are in our 40's so we want a bit of quiet time too.

Thanks so much

Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where are the supermarkets in Chaweng.....

Hi, about dentist - as I said in some of my other posts - we go to dr Apichart in Chaweng brnch of Baan Luck Fan clinic , he is the owner - and he is great, everything he did for us was totally brilliant ( and I used to be a dentist myself - so I am very picky when it comes to dentistry) .

About resort - I would say , Anantara Lawana, Buri Rasa, Sareeraya, Samui Paradise Chaweng, Poppies, or Samui Resotel would be my choce if I am to stay in Chaweng...Not in a middle, but close enough...

10. Re: Where are the supermarkets in Chaweng.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 November 2010, 16:16