We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nets on Chaweng Beach

Level Contributor
84 posts
6 reviews
Nets on Chaweng Beach

Last year this time we were in Chaweng and they were putting nets around the main swimming beach? What are they for and are they still there? I didn't think this time of year there were stingers?

Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
8,479 posts
91 reviews
1. Re: Nets on Chaweng Beach

There are jellies showing up mainland gulf beaches and had a rash of stingings last week along PranBuri beaches. Only swim in clear calm water, and know your surroundings.

T'is the season.

bangkokpost.com/news/general/1309799/poisono…

Edited: 23 August 2017, 14:24
Level Contributor
84 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Nets on Chaweng Beach

Thanks for the advice

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,628 posts
105 reviews
3. Re: Nets on Chaweng Beach

I saw some nets on Lamai beach too when I was there last month. I did not see any jellyfish but there were some warning notices about them. I read on Thai news a few days ago that some people were stung further up the Gulf coast as Loki mentioned.

Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,663 posts
72 reviews
4. Re: Nets on Chaweng Beach

Yes it's box jellyfish that can be a concern... although not common, you never know. This why the nets are put in the water.

In the event anyone gets stung by Box jelly fish, it's important to apply vinegar and get to a hospital ASAP. .

I think any restaurant would have vinegar, and one would hope the staff know of the seriousness of the stings.

You can also buy vinegar at any major super market. ...

There are also small annoying jelly fish at certain times of the year that just tingle but do no harm. Like little pin pricks over the body.

London, United...
Level Contributor
774 posts
83 reviews
5. Re: Nets on Chaweng Beach

Can you actually see these small jelly fish?

Just that when we were in Krabi feb this year, we could feel slight pricking sensation in the sea, but we have never experienced anything like it before and could not see anything in the water. Thought it might have been planton or something......

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,628 posts
105 reviews
6. Re: Nets on Chaweng Beach

Sometimes you can see them like small specks in the water, but they feel like little pinpricks if you swim through them. The feeling only lasts a short time ( a few minutes) But any jellyfish are best avoided if you can see them. They could also be small bits of jellyfish stingers.

Edited: 01 October 2017, 00:58
7. Re: Nets on Chaweng Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2018, 14:17
Get answers to your questions about Chaweng