We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending money in koh samui/Bangkok

Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Spending money in koh samui/Bangkok

Hello I know talking about spending money all depends on the person and what they like to do. I am coming to koh samui in a months time for 10 days and Bangkok for 4 days. All my accommodation and breakfast is paid for, so will need money for alcohol and dinner out also a couple excursions. What would be a ball park figure of how much to take?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
666 posts
21 reviews
11. Re: Spending money in koh samui/Bangkok

Kuhn Bill. I didn't say you had to stay in your room and drink. You can be like many tourists and take your drink to beach or pool which is a far better proposition than sitting in a bar staring into space. I certainly know which option I would choose.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
9,813 posts
62 reviews
12. Re: Spending money in koh samui/Bangkok

Sorry David, I was thinking only about drinking in the evening, which is what I do. Of course if you want to drink in the daytime then many people do what you are suggesting.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,627 posts
105 reviews
13. Re: Spending money in koh samui/Bangkok

You can also buy a bag of ice for a few baht when getting your beers in 7- Eleven so you can keep them a bit cooler and take in your daypack to the beach. Cans are lighter than bottles to carry, but make sure you do not leave any rubbish on the beach. There are usually litter bins outside the 7- Elevens and near some beach bars.

On Lamai beach there are several restaurants which advertise a fixed price of 90 baht for any Thai food. Any booze you have is extra and sometimes rice comes separately ( usually about 20 baht).

In Lamai a small beer from one of the poledancing bars costs between 70 and 90 baht. Chang is usually the cheapest and Heineken the most expensive.Others like Leo, Tiger and Singha are in between in price.

Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,679 posts
72 reviews
14. Re: Spending money in koh samui/Bangkok

I'd say unless you are eating in 5 Star hotels, you could easily spend less than 500 1000 baht a day on meals, less in reality! Booze hard to say, but beer is about 70 to 100 baht a bottle depending on bar. Cocktails more, but can vary a lot, depending on bar and area.

It's the bar girls that could end up costing you! (don't be taken in by the sob stories, "Mama in hospital" or "I love you long time"... it's a broken record!!!!

Island tours you're looking at about 2000 baht per day trip. some are worth taking, or even to Marine park or Koh Tao about 2000 to 2500 per day trip, depending on company used. They pick you up and drop you off at your hotel.

Bangkok, will depend on location to a certain point, use taxis or Sky train to get around.

Perhaps as a drinker, avoid renting a car or motorbike...

Edited: 30 September 2017, 22:29
Level Contributor
80 posts
12 reviews
15. Re: Spending money in koh samui/Bangkok

Bout 300baht for a cocktail on the beach when I was there in June and about 150 in ordinary beer bars,Local beer depending on happy hours anything from 60 to 120 baht,If you want Cheap Buckets Our Bar on Soi Green Mango is your best bet 150baht,Buying in the 7/11 is way cheaper so it all depends where you drink,Can be very expensive or cheap as chips.

16. Re: Spending money in koh samui/Bangkok

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2018, 14:16
Get answers to your questions about Chaweng