We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gatatu Safaris - Beautiful one day gorillas safari in Bwindi

Canton of Vaud...
2 posts
Save Topic
Gatatu Safaris - Beautiful one day gorillas safari in Bwindi

I met Richard (the ceo of Gatatu Safaris) in Kabale and he could organize a gorilla safari with a permit for the next day for a very reasonable price. Richard is very professional, open, and friendly. We started early in the morning direction Bwindi from Kabale and returned in the afternoon. The trip was breathtaking and we had a wonderful time together. I learned a lot from him about different aspects of Ugandan life. Also Richard showed me a local school around Bunyonyi he is managing and supporting, which was a very humbling and inspiring experience.

Overall an unforgettable experience and highly recommended!

4 replies to this topic
Kampala
Level Contributor
3,257 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gatatu Safaris - Beautiful one day gorillas safari in Bwindi

Which gorilla family did you track, and where did you stay? You were very fortunate to have that arranged for the next day, most unusual!

Users of the forum would find a fuller trip report useful.

Kampala, Uganda
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Gatatu Safaris - Beautiful one day gorillas safari in Bwindi

He stayed in Kabale town and started our journey early in the morning for Gorilla tracking,He did not stay in Bwindi or near the park.

Canton of Vaud...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Gatatu Safaris - Beautiful one day gorillas safari in Bwindi

Hi, yes i stayed in Kabale itself. The gorilla tracking was in Ruhija, where we went just for the day (actually already came back early afternoon). The drive to Ruhija was one of the most beautiful sights i saw in my life. There are 2 gorilla families in Ruhija, but i don't remember which one we tracked, and i don't have the gorilla tracking certificate with me now.

We were very lucky, the UWA (Uganda Wildlife Authority) rangers knew already exactly where the gorilla family was, as some scientists were observing them those days. It took us less than one hour to walk with rangers to the place where the family was, and the family didn't move for the whole hour of observation. There were also very very young gorilla children with their mum, which was quite unique to see. All this was in end November 2014, just before the high season. The price for a gorilla tracking permit was $350 (low season price).

Please let me know if any additional details could be useful!

Mentioned in this post
Uganda
Uganda
Africa
Kabale, Uganda
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Gatatu Safaris - Beautiful one day gorillas safari in Bwindi

Was the great experience! for your gorilla tracking in Ruhija, Normally the gorillas in Ruhija do not go far and tracking them is very easy!

Reply to: Gatatu Safaris - Beautiful one day gorillas safari in Bwindi
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kabale