We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Volunteer Work Ruhanga

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Volunteer Work Ruhanga

Hi,

My daughter is due to fly out to Uganda in October in order to carry out volunteer work in Ruhanga which is 4 hours south west of Kampala on the road to Kabale. I have checked the current Home Office advice website and they advise with regards to taking precautions against terrorism in light of recent scares and police operations in Kampala.

My question is what is the current feeling about travelling and working in these areas? Are there serious concerns that warrant cancelling the trip or is the location that my daughter is going to deemed safe and no need to worry.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Bill

Mentioned in this post
Uganda
Uganda
Africa
Kampala
Kampala
Central Region, Uganda
6 replies to this topic
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,515 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Volunteer Work Ruhanga

Ruhanga/Ntungama is very settled and safe as is most if not all of Uganda.

I certainly would not cancel your daughters trip on present information.

Mentioned in this post
Uganda
Uganda
Africa
Kampala
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Volunteer Work Ruhanga

I agree with mfuwe. Kabale is about 7-8 hours drive from Kampala. It actually shares Katuna /Gatuna border with Rwanda and I have not heard of any terror threats of this Area. Your Daughter will be safe.

Mentioned in this post
Kampala
Kampala
Central Region, Uganda
Rwanda
Rwanda
Africa
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,515 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Volunteer Work Ruhanga

Ruhanga is not as far as Kabale. It is near Ntungamo so well clear of any border area.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,257 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Volunteer Work Ruhanga

Get her to contact email Consular.Kampala@fco.gov.uk once she has registered her Ugandan SIM, and ask to be put on the SMS alerts. She needs to provide her passport number and name.

She's most unlikely to receive any kind of warnings for her area, but will give her (you) peace of mind, and she can ask them to tell her who is the BHC Warden for that area - sorry I can't remember right now, as I am in the UK and haven't got the list to hand.

Is she going with others? What's she going to to and how long is she going for?

Mentioned in this post
Kampala
Kampala
Central Region, Uganda
Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Volunteer Work Ruhanga

Hi All,

Thank you all very much for your kind words of advice. It does tend to put my mind at rest a bit more!

Shelly, she is flying out on her own then meets a guide at the airport who then drives her to the volunteer camp. She will be working and living for 3 weeks in a school compound helping the youngsters. There should be other helpers who will be arriving/leaving at different times so hopefully a good experience for her.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,257 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Volunteer Work Ruhanga

Nice! Well hope she enjoys the experience. Any other tips, she wants, just ask away.

:)

Reply to: Volunteer Work Ruhanga
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kabale