We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel

Dublin
3 posts
Save Topic
Travel

We will be travelling from Entebbe airport to Kabale to Lake Bunyonyi by public bus. Is it safe and relatively straight forward to do this?

11 replies to this topic
Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
518 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel

I would suggest you hire a taxi or 4x4 because the roads are un predictable some times.

Kampala
Level Contributor
2,204 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel

It is ,

There are direct buses from Kampala bus park to Kabale Town.

From the Airport, hire an Airport tax that will drop you at the Bus park.

UGANDA
Level Contributor
483 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel

From ENtebbe to Kampala bus station , you can hire a taxi which may cost you around US$25 or more.

From Kampala to Kabale the road is straight forward and you can use public means but from Kabale to Lake Bunyonyi , you must either take a Taxi which may drop you at the shores from where you may be required to take a boat depending on where you will stay.

However, I wouldn't recommend a tourist to travel by public transport on a long Journey like Kampala - Kabale because they are some times the pick pocketers' targets. More so , you may not have security should you loose any of your important items because being public means , it is not easy to track them.

Dublin
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel

Thanks so much for that. L

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,257 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel

Post Bus is the safest way to travel by bus in Uganda, as they are not competing against any other company to get there and back.

And they also go to Kabale, from the Main Post Office, be there at 7.30 am.

http://www.ugapost.co.ug/?p=pstbus

Dublin
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel

Thanks so much for that will check out the Post bus. Thank you.

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel

Is it possible to get a taxi from entenbbe to kabale? Do you know how much this would cost? Thanks.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,678 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel

It is possible but horrendously expensive. You are looking at 450km and about 7 hours driving.

Private hire may be cheaper and work out at maybe US$400.

the road bewtween Entebbe and Kabale is quite good apart from one 50km stretch between Mbarara and Ntungamo plus another shorter bit just before Kabale town. That last bit may well be fixed before you get there depending on the time of your trip.

Buses operating are Bismark, Link and another who's name escapes me at the moment. They get there most days so must be relatively safe. They are cheap.

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel

Wow, yes that is expensive, thanks very much for the info, that's great. We're going in July so am reassured that the roads aren't too bad. Thanks again

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel

The bus is a fairly hectic option - there is always a long wait in kampala bus stop and they travel VERY fast. Saying that Ive never been in an accident. I would now always get my very friend Beedah to pick me up - he s available to special hire and is completely honest .You can contact him on TEL: +256771826804/+256772821277/+256757112033.

Email: tbeeda23@gmail.com

Hope that helps.

Reply to: Travel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kabale