We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bwindi gorilla/chimp permits

San Francisco...
1 post
Save Topic
Bwindi gorilla/chimp permits

Hello!

I’m planning an (albeit) very last minute trip to W Africa and was hoping to tag on a gorilla tracking experience in Bwindi (coming from Tanzania) toward the end of Feb/beginning of March.

Since I’m coming solo, all of the trip operators are quoting me prices for a solo safari/trip (essentially); I’m posting here as I’m wondering if there are others who might be interested in forming a group? Plan is to leave from Kigalia (Rwanda) as the trip/drive is much shorter than for Kampala (assuming driving). I originally thought I might try and buy a permit on my own (from UWA - uganda wildlife authority - but from what I’ve read, it’s nearly impossible to do this in advance of a trip - eg over the phone/online; one might show up in person to assess/buy a permit but in high season, they since they could be booked many months in advance). Because it would be risky to plan the whole trip a la carte (eg, transportation, lodging, etc) and then potentially not be able to buy a permit upon arriving there, I don’t know if there is any other option than to somehow try and form a group beforehand.

Any other advice for a solo traveler hoping for this experience but not wanting to commit to the (HUGE) price of a solo travel experience? If there are others, I’d love to hear from you!

Thank you so much in advance and happy new year!

Mentioned in this post
Africa
Africa
World
Rwanda
Rwanda
Africa
Kampala
Kampala
Central Region, Uganda
Uganda
Uganda
Africa
8 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
144 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bwindi gorilla/chimp permits

Talk to local tour operators.

It's cheaper to make this transfer and arrangements for the permits.

Email to

aelguide1@gmail.com

Thank you.

2. Re: Bwindi gorilla/chimp permits

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2018, 02:38

Kampala
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bwindi gorilla/chimp permits

You actually need to book the Gorilla permit in advance.

Gorilla permit for Uganda costs 600USD, If purchased through a Tour operator, the prices ranges between 650$ - 700$

4. Re: Bwindi gorilla/chimp permits

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2018, 15:01

5. Re: Bwindi gorilla/chimp permits

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

Removed on: 25 January 2018, 15:01

6. Re: Bwindi gorilla/chimp permits

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

Removed on: 05 January 2018, 22:26

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bwindi gorilla/chimp permits

I am arranging my own trip as well due to the high cost of tours.

I decided to stay at a place in Kisoro and they accepted a wire transfer via Western Union and purchased my permit for me. I will get it from them when I arrive.

You do not need to go with a tour operator. Just show up at the Park at the designated time. I will be renting a vehicle but the place where I am staying in Kisoro offered to drive me there or said I could very inexpensively ride on a motorbike.

Kasese, Uganda
Level Contributor
132 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bwindi gorilla/chimp permits

contact local tour operator to help you and Book your gorilla permit in advance. good luck

Reply to: Bwindi gorilla/chimp permits
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kabale