We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1-Day Guide For Bwindi Gorilla Trek

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
27 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
1-Day Guide For Bwindi Gorilla Trek

Hello All,

My wife & I are self-driving in Uganda & have picked our own lodging we are now looking for a 1-day gorilla trek.

Does anybody know of good reputable companies that we can reach out to, so that we have a guide on our trek up to find the gorillas?

Also, should we purchase our gorilla permits ourselves, then get a guide, or would the company take care of it?

Thanks in advance for your time & I appreciate your help.

Mentioned in this post
Uganda
Uganda
Africa
6 replies to this topic
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,517 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1-Day Guide For Bwindi Gorilla Trek

You do not need a guide. Just get your permit and turn up at the departure point (there are three at least) and UWA provide Guide, trakkers and porters (recommended).

Level Contributor
144 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1-Day Guide For Bwindi Gorilla Trek

True you don't need to hire a guide to Gorilla trek. Guides are provided and organised by UWA

For Gorilla permits You have to book them before track date or even before trek month.

Normally after Gorilla permits its when you cam make lodge reservations matching your gorilla trek site.

You can coordinate with a company or friend to book your permits or book them on line.

Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 1-Day Guide For Bwindi Gorilla Trek

As others have said, you will get a guide when you show up at the UWA checkpoint. If you are strapped for days, you will need to book the permits in advance through UWA to make sure you get the day you want.

If you need transport from your lodge to gorilla trekking, you will need to talk to your lodge- they can normally recommend someone, or book that slightly in advance as well. I can recommend some drivers if you let me know where you are staying.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
27 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1-Day Guide For Bwindi Gorilla Trek

Many thanks for all of your input.

It is much appreciated & very helpful.

Edited: 10 October 2017, 10:04
5. Re: 1-Day Guide For Bwindi Gorilla Trek

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2018, 15:01

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1-Day Guide For Bwindi Gorilla Trek

The Park provides the guides.

Ask the place where you will be staying if they will get your permits for you. Many do.

Also, many vehicle rental agencies also will get the permits for you.

Both will charge a small fee but still WAY less expensive than going through a tour agency which also makes you stay at the places they choose.

Reply to: 1-Day Guide For Bwindi Gorilla Trek
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kabale