We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melia Buenavista questions

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
258 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Melia Buenavista questions

Hello,

I've been to Cuba 7 times but never to Cayo Santa Maria. The Melia Buenavista is of interest because of the good snorkeling off-shore.

I'm hoping I can get these questions answered:

1. Does the price ever drop below $1,500 during the Summer? (Looking to book in July)

2. Is the snorkeling good off the shore?

3. Where is the nearby disco?

4. How would you rate the basic room and food? (I'm comparing to Paradisus in Holguin, or Melia in Cayo Guillermo)

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Melia Buenavista
Melia Buenavista
2,843 Reviews
Cuba
Cayo Guillermo
Cayo Guillermo
Jardines del Rey Archipelago, Cuba
Royalton Cayo Santa Maria
Royalton Cayo Santa Maria
#1 of 18 hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Melia Buenavista
Melia Buenavista
#2 of 18 hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
12 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
6,790 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melia Buenavista questions

Hola

1. The best deal I have seen for MBV has been the offer posted at the reception desk at the Melia Cayo Santa Maria hotel on our past 2 visits earlier this year (last stay was just over 1 week ago). Price to upgrade from MCSM to MBV was +/- 90 CUC per room - not per person. You might want to consider contacting them to see if this is possible for when you plan to go.

2. Probably has the best off shore snorkeling on this Cayo - weather permitting. Don't know if the shallow waters will be too warm in July close to shore and force the fish into deeper waters.

3. "Nearby" disco - the Pueblo Estrella. It's not that close. I don't know if the shuttle from MBV would take you there, or would just take you to the Melia, then you can get the Panoramic bus from there, or there is the taxi option.

4. Can't help you there, sorry - but it was interesting when we were dining at the Tex-Mex a la carte restaurant at the Melia last week, our server told us that the couple seated next to us were guests at MBV, and they were eating at the Melia Tex-Mex for the 2nd time that week....

There is also good off-shore snorkeling at the Iberostar Ensenachos, and you might want to check out the newest hotels in the area, the Dhawa, and the Sercotel resorts on Cayo las Brujas.

Cheers

Edited: 10 May 2018, 11:31
Mentioned in this post
Melia Cayo Santa Maria
Melia Cayo Santa Maria
4,612 Reviews
Cuba
Dhawa Cayo Santa Maria
Dhawa Cayo Santa Maria
619 Reviews
Cuba
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
373 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melia Buenavista questions

FWIW, the snorkeling is the best I have experienced personally. Not like I have been to great barrier or Roatan etc, but other parts of Australia, Oahu (Hanuama), Aruba, Cabo (chileno), PV (los arcos)...so a few valid spots to compare. There was much more variety of fish and I really enjoyed the arches and deep trenches, as well as the ledges and stuff where fish would hide. Even the fire coral off sunset beach, while quite shallow was amazing. i'm sure in the week I was there, I spent a solid 12-14 hours exploring and didn't get bored. Cost definitely the issue but I think its worth every penny when I look at cost of other places these days. The suite was amazing (took the romantic...upstairs waterfront), and while the room service and breakfast was just 'cuba', I really enjoyed the lunch grill poolside and the dinners. i had some of the best meals ever at Los Navigantes.

That's about what I can contribute to your questions :)

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melia Buenavista questions

Thank you very much!

Would you mind looking at this photo and telling me if this is accurate about the snorkeling? Where are the other spots if any?

Many thanks!

https://destilino.b-cdn.net/CayosVillaClara-…

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melia Buenavista questions

It's not letting me edit my post for some reason. Two more questions!

1. Are there hobie cats we could get someone to take us out on to other reefs? Are there good ones nearby?

2. How far is Pueblo la estrella and can you take the local bus there?

Thank you!

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,943 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Melia Buenavista questions

No Hobies at Buenavista, but you have access to them at the other Melia properties. Whether they will take you to the reef is another question.

The map of snorkelling areas is accurate.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Melia Buenavista questions

Thanks eeeefarm! You were the one that actually had recommended the snorkeling at the Paradisus to me before! (The one a couple hundred yards off shore). I absolutely LOVED it but sadly with the pool being renovated this summer I am looking elsewhere :(

My ex and I always paid them at other resorts to take us out to reefs, maybe we could strike up a deal. How far is it to walk to get to the closest hobie cats?

In your opinion is it worth the price to go here? Is the snorkeling amazing? :D

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,943 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Melia Buenavista questions

There is a free shuttle to the other Melia resorts and you can use their facilities, including dining. Snorkelling at Buenavista is good enough that I don't think you need to go elsewhere. I have seen a lot of interesting things there, including rays, octopus, and large parrotfish. The small cove beach is usually interesting and the main CSM beach out to the small rock island is interesting. I saw a nurse shark on the sea side of that island, and there are patches of coral on the land side.

Sunset beach is very shallow but I swam all the way to the island you see west of there, and saw a lobster among other things close to that island.

I don't think Buenavista will disappoint.

Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
142 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Melia Buenavista questions

We were at the MBV a couple of weeks ago. Things started slowly but at the end we loved it. Great snorkeling at both locations on the map. We enjoyed the main beach better because it was easier to get out and the palapas on the beach were really nice. You could switch gears to frollick on the beach. The other location had lots to see but was a little more of a chore to get in or out. The wood burning pizza oven and BBQ at the main pool had the best meals. Dinners were pretty good. Breakfasts were bad (hard to believe). The rooms were nice. Really good mattress. There's only one bathroom sink with a weird faucet. Service was very good. The free bus only runs as far as the Melia Las Dunas. It's 10 CUC cab ride each way to the Estrella. I wouldn't bother. It's about a 3 km hike to the Sol which is the closest resort in really soft sand. The PRDO is my benchmark resort. Very different vibe. It would be a lengthy essay to compare. The MBV is small so it's not likely you'll see much of a reduction.

Mentioned in this post
Melia Las Dunas
Melia Las Dunas
8,717 Reviews
Cuba
Sol Cayo Santa Maria
Sol Cayo Santa Maria
2,848 Reviews
Cuba
Atlantic Canada
Level Contributor
73 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Melia Buenavista questions

We just returned from MBV yesterday and loved it. Our 14th trip to CUBA, and the 1st here.We ate at the resort all week, mostly at the Caribes, which changes the menu theme each night. You have 3 choices of appetizer and main meal. As Mr_Shawa mentioned, breakfast off the menu was not great. Eggs any style had no taste and were over-cooked. Looked deep fried to me. But the cold buffet was excellent.

If you want a stress free no hassle resort this is it. No crowds, line-ups, and no towel game too. Top shelf booze, and a butler to cater to you. Beach service was top notch and fast, drinks excellent.

We hung out at the middle beach all week and had some amazing snorkelling. Gear and guide are included. I even saw a scorpionfish, about 14" long which was a surprise.

They sprayed for biting flies twice daily, but there were always some around particularly after rain.

Of all our trips to CUBA, the workers here had the worst english skills, but we got by. It was the best resort we've been at, and will return for sure.

regards

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
373 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Melia Buenavista questions

hi Katie - definitely no need to go anywhere else for snorkelling...bring a bubba, ask for a margarita, go out for an hour snorkel, come back, its still nice and cold! The whole region from sunset beach island (the fire coral between there and the dock), across to main beach island on east side was really good. My favorite area was around the west tip (the west 'snorkeling' on your map). Watch for barracuda when you get into sandy areas and even found a lionfish (maybe it was scorpionfish as mentioned) under the ledge off the east island.

Reply to: Melia Buenavista questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cayo Santa Maria