We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Imphal and Manipur

London
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Safety in Imphal and Manipur

I was planning to visit Imphal in April 2011 to visit the Imphal war cemetery (Commonwealth War Graves Commission) but on looking at the British foreign and Commonwealth office website (see below) I see that they advise against travelling to the area. I would be grateful for any further information regards safety for foreign tourists. I would be travelling alone. My father was in Imphal in 1944.

The British foreign and Commonwealth office

Safety and Security - Local Travel - East and North East India
 We advise against all travel in Manipur and against all but essential travel to Imphal. If you plan to travel to Imphal then do so only by air. There is a risk from insurgent groups, mainly in rural areas. Although foreigners have not been the deliberate targets of violence, attacks can be indiscriminate. Although the overall security situation in the northeast has improved in the last year, kidnapping, banditry and insurgency still take place.

29 replies to this topic
Nagpur, India
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety in Imphal and Manipur

If you are confining your stay to only Imphal, it is quite safe. It is just not very safe to wonder into the remote areas, otherwise in the town your safety will not be an issue.

London
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety in Imphal and Manipur

Thanks for your kind reply,

I took Imphal off my list because of safety advice so my itinerary is fixed (flights and overnight stays) but I would still really like to go. I am spending 6 days in and around Kohima, so do you think it will be possible to get a car and driver for the day from Kohima to Imphal to visit the war cemetery there? In terms of the time it will take to get there and back and the distances involved?

Be glad of your advice

Nagpur, India
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety in Imphal and Manipur

Kohima to Imphal is 146km and a 6hrs drive. So, if you manage to get a car and a driver for the day, you might get an hour or so to visit the cemetery, provided you go non stop and leave very early in the morning from Kohima. Do avoid night travel.

Here is a link i thought might help you -

http://asia-travel.in/Kohima_Tour.html

London
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety in Imphal and Manipur

Thanks for the information looks like if I decide to go it will be an overnighter. Thanks for your help.

Guwahati, India
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety in Imphal and Manipur

i have to visit dimapur, kohima, mokokchung in nagaland. imphal,porompat,kakching,churachandpur in maipur, itanagar, pasighat in arunachal pradesh, aizwal, lunglei in mizoram.

please suggest me about security safety precautions and procedures.

regards,

S&S

6. Re: Safety in Imphal and Manipur

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 May 2017, 08:05

Guwahati, India
Destination Expert
for Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya, Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland, Guwahati, Shillong, Tawang, Imphal, Aizawl, Kohima, Kaziranga National Park
Level Contributor
6,412 posts
508 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety in Imphal and Manipur

Most of those destinations which you plan to visit in Nagaland, Arunachal Pradesh, Mizoram and Manipur are absolutely safe for tourists.

You can contact someone in Imphal to inquire about the safety and security in Kakching and Porompat.

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety in Imphal and Manipur

See am recently bought a tickets of kolkata to imphal and returning back from aizwal to kolkata!! U think its safe??

Guwahati, India
Destination Expert
for Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya, Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland, Guwahati, Shillong, Tawang, Imphal, Aizawl, Kohima, Kaziranga National Park
Level Contributor
6,412 posts
508 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety in Imphal and Manipur

Imphal is safe for tourists to visit. The only problem are the protests and bandhs, which are unpredictable.

Aizawl is absolutely safe.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety in Imphal and Manipur

Hi,

We are planning to visit Imphal, Loktak Lake and Moreh this August. Is it safe?

Reply to: Safety in Imphal and Manipur
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Imphal