We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Supermarkets

Ormskirk, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Supermarkets

Hi

We arrive in Kalamata on a Sunday and will be staying in Methoni. We will be relying on self-catering for most of our holiday and were wondering if there are any supermarkets on route from Kalamata to Methoni to stock up. We have holidayed on a few Greek islands in the past and are aware that many larger supermarkets are closed on Sundays there, but were wondering if this is the case on the Peloponnese.

Any info on supermarkets around Methoni will be gratefully received.

Thanks

Carl

england
Level Contributor
6,724 posts
130 reviews
1. Re: Supermarkets

The "supermarkets" will be about the size of the express supermarkets here - or smaller. However as you head off from the airport you'll pass a Lidl and there is a Carrefour Express. You might want to get some supplies there and fresh food at Methoni.

We stayed at Petalidi where there was a great Friday market. Hopefully someone can tell you about markets around Methoni.

Suffolk, UK
Level Contributor
1,391 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: Supermarkets

Unfortunately Lidl is closed on Sunday. Your best bet is either Vergis in Charakopio, which is open until lunchtime or Sipsas in Koroni, which opens on Sundays in high season, although I'm not sure about the hours. If both of these are closed, there is a small supermarket on the left side of the road as you leave Finikounda - just opposite the petrol station - that is also open on Sunday. Sorry I can't remember what it's called

Ormskirk, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
3. Re: Supermarkets

Thank you for your replies buzzard2000 and JBMED. I was thinking that the major supermarkets may be closed. I believe there is a Carrefour Express in Methoni, but I haven't managed to find any info on whether its open or not on Sundays. Will definitely be up for a fresh food market if one is held in Methoni.

I think we're just going to have to keep an eye open for a "local shop" as we drive to Methoni to buy a few essentials and stock up properly on Monday.

Thanks again for your replies.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41 posts
20 reviews
4. Re: Supermarkets

I know this is an old question, but this might be useful information for someone looking.

There's been a small supermarket in Kalamata that opens on Sundays for the past few years at the following location:

https://goo.gl/maps/nPuhEzsiihA2

I don't know it's name and it's been over a year since I have been there though.

5. Re: Supermarkets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2018, 16:19
Get answers to your questions about Kalamata