We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rrd flags out on Dover beach

Isle of Skye, NW...
Level Contributor
413 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Rrd flags out on Dover beach

Red do not swim flags have been put out on Dover Beach as of yesterday afternoon.

Not that people are complying with it of course

warrington
Level Contributor
370 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rrd flags out on Dover beach

Thanks for that was going to have a trip to the south coast today but it is so calm here on the west will leave it for another day.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rrd flags out on Dover beach

People are foolish - I rather expect they will assume that the lifeguards will put their own lives at risk to save theirs should they get into trouble, despite being warned of the danger.

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
10,877 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rrd flags out on Dover beach

some years ago - when I pointed out to a visitor that there were red flags out - they remarked "Oh we thought they were for decoration" (seriously - not a joke) - so maybe some folks really do not understand that red flags mean unsafe swimming conditions

Isle of Skye, NW...
Level Contributor
413 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rrd flags out on Dover beach

There are notices on the flags too si no excuse.

doesnt seem any rougher today than the last few days. Maybe under currents. We are coming up to a full moon as well.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,914 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rrd flags out on Dover beach

Under currents are the killer AReal Highlander. You get knocked down by a sudden wave then dragged off by the under current. Happened to me at the Crane a long time ago and I'm not a bad swimmer, it was the closest I have ever been to drowning.

I agree that people who ignore the flags are not just idiots, but completely selfish by putting others at risk also.

Many a local has drowned over the years, while having a sea bath and being caught by an under current,

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,777 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rrd flags out on Dover beach

I was knocked down by a fairly small wave (in the States) and nearly drowned due to a vicious undertow. So yes, that's more dangerous than the height of the waves.

Isle of Skye, NW...
Level Contributor
413 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rrd flags out on Dover beach

The flags have just been taken down so hopefully the worst of it passed now.

Isle of Skye, NW...
Level Contributor
413 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rrd flags out on Dover beach

Alas the flags went back up the following day and have remained up since. There are a few locals using it as a surfing beach and the usual stupid tourists so going in the water.

There are some quite big waves coming in here now.

9. Re: Rrd flags out on Dover beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2014, 16:17