We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Status of Gili Air construction

Singapore, Singapore
8 posts
1 review
Status of Gili Air construction

Hi, am thinking of travelling to Gili Air end of May but was reading abt the major revamp the island is undergoing so just wondering if anyone has been there recently and can comment on what’s happening there?

16 replies to this topic
Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
147 posts
185 reviews
1. Re: Status of Gili Air construction

I was there a few days ago and there is a lot of rubble near the beach. That might not be the main problem of the Island. So if thats your only concern you might be OK going.

Singapore, Singapore
8 posts
1 review
2. Re: Status of Gili Air construction

Thanks! Oh dear sounds like there’s many other issues there that make it less than an ideal beach vacation...looking to relax on the beach, enjoy island life...and do some dives...not such a good idea?

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
147 posts
185 reviews
3. Re: Status of Gili Air construction

Well it depends how much the downsides affect you. For dives should be good. For beach not so much, specially if you are looking for lots of space and sand. Also not good if you hope for that unspoiled nature look. Gili Meno has a nicer beach and is quieter but you might get bored after a few days

Edited: 09 May 2018, 18:09
Tampere, Finland
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Status of Gili Air construction

What is the major problem at Gili Air?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,696 posts
53 reviews
5. Re: Status of Gili Air construction

I just visited Gili Air for the 3rd time in the last 2 years and it was still just as beautiful as the 1st time.

You're in a foreign country. There are going to be things which you aren't accustomed to but are the norm here. What some people may see as a problem is not for others & locals.

If you want to have a great fun holiday then you are travelling to the right place.

I had no such issues with finding space on the sand to put our towels on. Even 2 years ago when the restaurants would push the sunbeds as close to the water as possible there is always sand available.

Other option is to pay for a sunbed. Choices are plenty.

We loved swimming, snorkeling & stand up paddle boarding around Gili Air

If you want authentic Indonesian cuisine then I can recommend Warung Padang Sumatra in the centre of the island.

Kolkata
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
6. Re: Status of Gili Air construction

I’m currently in Gili Air and am frankly, HORRIFIED! Anyone saying this place is “unspoiled” is downright lying - rubble and garbage EVERYWHERE - concrete, wood, plastic, dried up seaweed, broken coral, be it on beaches, in empty lots or on the side of the road. There are touts everywhere too, harassing you to buy or rent things, be it happy hour drinks or cycles or crappy trinkets. I really wish we hadn’t come here. The place is overrun with tourists as well, and the “locals” have all migrated from Lombok and know or care little or nothing for this island. Stay away!

Edited: 11 May 2018, 09:41
Singapore, Singapore
8 posts
1 review
7. Re: Status of Gili Air construction

Thanks everyone for your firsthand insights on the island! I think I might head elsewhere instead of Gili Air this time round...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
16 reviews
8. Re: Status of Gili Air construction

I am on Gili T and was supposed to go to Gili Air and thank goodness I did a snorkeling trip that stopped there for lunch. The word that comes to mind is ramshackle I would post photos but I only had my underwater point and shoot so I can’t load them on my phone. It’s unsightly. Gili T feels so upscale in comparison. I cancelled my hotel and am heading to the south of Lombok instead

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
220 posts
15 reviews
9. Re: Status of Gili Air construction

Oh no! We leave in 2 weeks and planned to stay on gili air for 3 nights. We were either going to stay in the centre of the east coast or north east coast. Is there an area that is better than the other? Just looking for good snorkeling and sandy beach. Should we go to gili meno instead?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,696 posts
53 reviews
10. Re: Status of Gili Air construction

chillichill, mate I wouldn't change anything. Go and enjoy yourself. Plenty of sand and snorkelling to be had

Reply to: Status of Gili Air construction
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gili Air