We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does Perama Tours still exist?

Bangkok
Level Contributor
10 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Does Perama Tours still exist?

Hi all,

My wife and I want to travel from Bali to Gili Air (direct) and heard about Perama Tours, but there are mumblings across the net that the fast boats have sent them out of business. Is this true? We're looking to travel in mid-July.

Any info, help, would be much appreciated in a cheap way to get to Gili Air without having to take the ferry to Lombok.

Thanks,

OMT

planet earth
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Does Perama Tours still exist?

Hi Ohmytravels,

Perama is still exist in tourism business, but is not popular for inter island transfer fast boat among Bali - Lombok / Gili. As far as I know, this company has good market share in providing tourism land transfer in Lombok, and is the most popular for Komodo tour.

You can consider a fast boat trip to Gili Air. Seems bit higher price than a slow ferry, but the price is inclusive pickup from your hotel in Bali to the harbor, and it is very time saving.

Another way is by flight from Bali to Lombok, then take private shuttle from Lombok airport to Gili Air. But if you are only 1 - 2 people the private shuttle price seems inefficient.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does Perama Tours still exist?

Perama Tours certainly do still exist. My partner and I took a one-day snorkelling trip round the Gilis with them last week - booked at their office on Jl. Raya Senggigi - which was an excellent experience. We were the only guests on the boat (it is clearly the off-season!) on a beautiful sunny day, the excellent boatman Yani and his offsider took us to some great snorkelling spots (though the coral around the Gilis, sadly, has been very badly bleached and to my eye appears over 99% dead) and we thoroughly enjoyed the day.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does Perama Tours still exist?

I hope so - I have a Komodo tour booked with them for next week!

Barcelona...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Does Perama Tours still exist?

AVOID TRAVELLING WITH PERAMA if you do not want to sleep WITH RATS

We booked the tour "Hunting Komodo Dragons by Camera" from Labuan Bajo to Lombok (2N / 2D) with Perama in order to see the Komodo dragons. We were pretty excited with that cruise and actually we booked it more than one month and a half in advance. We chose to sleep at the deck, as it was cheaper and some friends of mine told me it was fine…

However, there are two different decks and, even if you pay the same price and Perama told you that the conditions are the same, THEY ARE TOTALLY DIFFERENT. Lower deck actually it is not a deck but the dining room floor. Therefore, you must sleep at the same place where the kitchen is; with all the smells and noises from there (the crew works in the kitchen from 5AM to midnight, so there are always people around). Moreover, you can not rest there if you want to go to sleep earlier than other guests, as that space is common and they organize parties there. You must wait till the party is over.

In theory, your accommodation in lower or upper deck depends on the booking date, or at least, that was what the boat responsible told us. However, that is a LIE, as they put us in the lower deck even if it was people sleeping in the upper deck that had booked after us. That was not a problem for us, and to give the places randomly is also a criteria, but please, do not lie. Once we discovered that they were not following their own criteria, we asked them if it was possible to do a kind of turns. Since we had to sleep on the boat for 2 nights, the fairest option was to change places every night. That was easy, as nobody has a bed nor sheets or blankets, so you just need to put your sleeping bag in one or other place.

But the boat responsible was really rude and he shouted to us saying that it was not possible to change places because that was not our private tour. We already know that!! We only asked to change places in order to have the same rights as other guest, as we all have paid the same. It was the fairest option, but he didn’t want to understand us (not even to listen to us). Actually, he also shouted to us that he was not our slave, using the racism thing against us and being dogmatic, even if we were asking kindly. He was the only one there who was unkindly, rude and arrogant.

Nonetheless, the worst problem was not this… We went to sleep quite late because the crew and some guest were partying in our “sleeping” place till late. We put our mattress in the dirty floor (you can imagine how dirty a dance floor is) and we were almost asleep when suddenly we start to hear some noises… RATS!!! There were RATS in our place, next to our heads!! We asked the crew to do something, but they just came there with a light, confirm that the noises were rats and went back to sleep, not caring at all about that and not giving us any solution or any alternative.

We can sleep at the floor and also in a dirty floor and also in the kitchen dirty floor (as it was that case), but sleeping with RATS in the same level is really DISGUSTING and even DANGEROUS. We took our mattresses, we went upstairs and we put them on the corridor’s floor. We hadn’t anything to protect us from the wind as the crew didn’t give us anything. They didn’t allow us to take more mattresses and use them as wind stoppers, but they gave that same mattress to other guests who were just drinking beers seated near us even if they already had their own in their deck. See how helpful the crew was with us!!

Furthermore, on the second night, the boat responsible told us that it was not possible to sleep in the corridors because that was not allowed and that we must stay in the lower deck. Excuse me?? And to sleep with rats is allowed?? Fortunately, the other guests found some place in the upper deck for some of us. The others, once the boat responsible was already asleep, slept again in the corridor, suffering again from the cold as, obviously, nobody gave us anything to protect us from it.

The whole situation was pathetic and deplorable and the boat responsible was rude, unkindly and arrogant. Finally, we sent an email to the main office to complain about the situation and how the crew treated us, but the only answer from them was a two line mail with this sentence “sorry for the inconveniences” with not even a sentence saying that they will try to improve their services or that they will to send our review to their superiors.

A really bad service for what you pay. Just one tip: AVOID THEM.

Barcelona...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Does Perama Tours still exist?

Finally, we went to the main office in Kuta to complain about the rat things and we met there a really nice and kind girl who help us. They gave us some of our money back and they promised to fix the problem.

They have also good workers!!! :)

Sydney
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does Perama Tours still exist?

I'm sure the majority of Perama tours staff are good but take care when handing over money for national park fees. On our Perama tour to Bromo the guide asked that we pay 100,000 RP each for the park fees. We agreed on the basis that he will issue us with receipt/spark tickets. Afterwards we asked for our tickets and he came back with 2 old passes (there were 4 of us) with new dates scribbled on them. The guide then gave some elaborate story about the park office running out of tickets. We then got into a big confrontation with the guide about taking our money which was supposed to go towards the park. IT all ended up with him pulling out our original money from his pocket and handing most of it back to us.

Sydney, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Does Perama Tours still exist?

I just had my booking cancelled with them after processing payment of ~$300 USD for private charter to Gili islands. After about 5 back and forth emails with in depth discussion about dates and itinerary, they failed to inform me about 'bad weather'. Until the payment went through, I got an email back saying they need to cancel it. I have checked the weather forecast and all is sunny. My hotel in Sheraton has informed me as well that they are not aware of tours cancelling due to bad weather as it is all fine weather at the moment.

I haven't received my refund yet. Please we weary if you are going with Perama.

8. Re: Does Perama Tours still exist?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2014, 16:21