We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drink spiking on Gili Trewangan

Which Gili Trawangan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kathmandu, Nepal
7 posts
Save Topic
Drink spiking on Gili Trewangan

I recently spent a week on Gili Trewangan. I had a fantastic time on this gorgeous island until my last night. I'd had a few drinks at a bar called Rudy's and started to complain to friends I'd met that I felt strange. I don't remember anything from this point. My drink had been spiked. The people I was with reported a local guy asking them what room I was staying in and started to become aggressive towards them. They put me to bed in their hotel to keep an eye on me but we were still followed by this particular local. I awoke not being able to move, vomitting, with this guy in the room trying to kiss me.This local guy was someone I'd befriended during my week who worked at Ecco cafe. I am just so greatful for the lovely people I met who managed to stop the situation from becoming a lot worse. The cruel intent of these drink spikers seems unfathomable in this paradise but girls need to be so careful when travelling alone and making friends with the locals!!!!

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drink spiking on Gili Trewangan

Hi Georgia,

You are correct.

There have been problems with this sort of thing.

I am going to send you a PM and with some contact details of someone to report this to as there is an official enquiry into this problem currently taking place.

Please do exercise caution when drinking in bars or at 'beach parties' on Gili Trawangan, including in your own hotel.

Denpasar
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Drink spiking on Gili Trewangan

Hello, I am Eddy Sitompul, The owner of Ecco Cafe on Gili Terawangan.

I just need to reply to this topic. Every day and week We heard the same story. Do you remember the name of that Ecco Cafe's employee by any change. If this is true ?

We are new here and the competition is tight. Could be scam to my business.

My staff are dedicated on the tourism and none of them quit since I opened Ecco Cafe.

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drink spiking on Gili Trewangan

You have been sent a PM Eddy

Kathmandu, Nepal
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Drink spiking on Gili Trewangan

His name was Yan, or Yam or something like that. Even months and month after the incident I hold no doubt that he was the one that did it too me.

Ecco Cafe and Gili T is a great place and I hope you can solve this problem and maintain a good reputation.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Drink spiking on Gili Trewangan

Hi Georgina,

Thanks a lot for the information. Oh Noooo! im travelling to Gili this coming April & am a 22 year old female solo traveller! i think i might have to take EXTRA EXTRA CAUTION! Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers!

Mazatlan, Mexico
Level Contributor
198 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drink spiking on Gili Trewangan

Okay Eddy Sitompul. Whats the newest update on this. You posted your question over a month ago so plenty of time to sort this out. Whats the story with this Yan or Yam guy?

Does anyone have any more info on what has happened since then.

Western Australia
Level Contributor
119 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drink spiking on Gili Trewangan

Rudy's bar is where Perth teenager Liam Davies was served a vodka and lime tainted with methanol and subsequently died from methanol poisoning several days later. A Canadian friend of his was also poisoned the same night at Rudy's but is recovering.

Avoid Rudy's Bar at all costs

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drink spiking on Gili Trewangan

What is the update? Has appropriate action been taken? (Kind of a rhetorical question...)

Western Australia
Level Contributor
119 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drink spiking on Gili Trewangan

Well being a non drinker myself, I have taken the only action I can by naming and shaming. There is a facebook group "A Drink to Die from" started by a young woman who watched her fiance die from methanol poisoning on Trawangan last year

sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Drink spiking on Gili Trewangan

TWO issues in this post.

ONE is the possibility of drinks being spiked.

This can happen in any bar anywhere in the world at any time.

The moral is to be very aware of your drinks - particulary if you are travelling alone.

TWO methanol in arak.

I do not think this is a situation that is planned.

Sometimes when arak is being distilled if the process is not exact, methanol can be created - and when its drunk - dire consequences.

I think it has more to do with a bar using cheap arak - that has not been made properly.

Moral of this is not to drink cocktails made with arak but pay a bit more for more reputable liqour