We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Romana airport vs. Punta Cana airport???

Which Bayahibe hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
La Romana airport vs. Punta Cana airport???

What are the differences between these two airports? Seems like most people fly into Punta Cana airport then have a 2 hr. drive to La Romana, Dominicus.....Is the La Romana airport not as accessible for Airlines from the states.....why not fly into the closer airport???

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,832 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: La Romana airport vs. Punta Cana airport???

LRM is serviced via MIA on AA. Many charters and flight from Canada and Europe and US also go direct to PUJ. From the states their are flights to both but..... u will sometimes find fares better to PUJ because more flights. For Bayahibe my choices based on convenience would be 1) LRM, 2) LRM 3) SDQ then 4) PUJ. Many more flights to SDQ and better fares than PUJ, but... you pay the taxi or pay the airline, so... yes fly to LRM if u can.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La Romana airport vs. Punta Cana airport???

Thanks RV429. Can you tell me how long of a drive it would be from SDQ if this is also an option?

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Romana airport vs. Punta Cana airport???

Usually most of the charters fly between november and april direct fligths.

Not everybody is aware of this airport just 15 min drive to the resorts area.

Santo Domingo es 90min drive and the road is better as it has highway for a great part of the journey.

the taxi or transfer fare should be more or less the same from PUJ and SDQ to Bayahibe.

Just compare the price but if you cannot fly to LRM airport I will also will prefer SDQ airport

Santo Domingo...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La Romana airport vs. Punta Cana airport???

I totally agree with Bigbite.

Travelling to La Romana, or Bayahibe-Dominicus, the best option is to fly to La Romana airport, and then Santo Domingo airport.

Punta Cana would be defenetelly by last option.

Virginia
Level Contributor
40 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: La Romana airport vs. Punta Cana airport???

I just flew out of La Romana airport a few days ago. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it, and as others said, it was about 20 minutes and $35 from our Dreams resort, so very convenient. I think the airport is just not well-known, plus there is so much more air and hotel traffic in Punta Cana. La Romana airport is small (4 gates, one big waiting area with gift shop, duty free, three snack places, a bar and I think that's it). I found it professional and very low stress, and would gladly use the airport again. We walked across the tarmac to the plane, an American Eagle plane seating three across. American Eagle is some subsidiary of Americna airlines, or somethign liek that. I heard a rumor that Jet Blue will start flying to La Romana airport in fall 2011.

Edited: 04 July 2011, 16:42
Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,832 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: La Romana airport vs. Punta Cana airport???

Jet Blue begins service to LRM in November 2011.

Dallas, Texas
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: La Romana airport vs. Punta Cana airport???

Hi everyone,

We plan to arrive at LRM next month and will travel with two kids.

I have hard time reserving transportation from airport to Dreams, since most of vacation packages have pickup van from PUJ not LRM. My concern is that would it easy to find a cab or any other transfer transportation from LRM to Dreams ? How much does it cost for a family of four ?

Thanks so much for answering to my questions.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,832 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: La Romana airport vs. Punta Cana airport???

Plenty of Taxis await you as you leave the customs area. The fares are fixed and are per ride not per person. I think it's about $35 USD.

Dallas, Texas
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: La Romana airport vs. Punta Cana airport???

$35 is affordable for us.

Thank you

Spruce Grove, Canada
Level Contributor
493 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: La Romana airport vs. Punta Cana airport???

I think everyone should take the drive (taxi or bus) from Punta Cana to Bayahibe once. Just to experience highway travel in the DR. I took gravol before the drive and still got car sick, even though we were the only two in the 20 passenger bus. We searched and found a flight direct to LaRomana and greatly enjoyed that airport. For clarity, I would not rent a car in the DR.

Also, you can book online with AmStar for a return transfer to the hotel. Modern vans, and they do look after you well. We paid $100 usd for pickup and return.