We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter vomiting bug, diarrhoea and sickness in resort now

uk
Level Contributor
280 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Winter vomiting bug, diarrhoea and sickness in resort now

Has anyone been affected, my mum is due to arrive Tuesday and has been advis d by travel agent

the resort has the dreaded bug going around and their hotel is affected. Can they cancel if need be??

49 replies to this topic
Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
5,857 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter vomiting bug, diarrhoea and sickness in resort now

If the travel agent has gone to the trouble of warning her, presumably it was to offer them the option to move to another hotel or resort? I'd be surprised if they just warned her and didn't give her an alternative.

uk
Level Contributor
280 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter vomiting bug, diarrhoea and sickness in resort now

No that's what I thought but they didn't offer anything else it was Saga.

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter vomiting bug, diarrhoea and sickness in resort now

Saga after informing you of this bug should give you the option of transferring to another hotel, or cancelling which would be a bit extreme. Speak to them and see what they come up with. But after my experiences with various travel firms it's unlikely they will be very helpful as far as transferring, but you never know. My friend and I stayed at a hotel in Costa adeje, (the name escapes me) a few years ago, and we had a similar problem with a bug going around. Unfortunately my friend contracted it, not pleasant. We have just returned from a hotel in Los Christianos, and that seemed to have a lot of viruses going around, I got a chest infection but fortunately was able to treat it immediately, whether people brought them over from the UK is any bodies guess, more than likely. Hope you resolve the situation.

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
5,857 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter vomiting bug, diarrhoea and sickness in resort now

As Yvonne says, if saga have informed her, saga should offer an alternative. If all the travel companies, they should know what a danger such bugs are to old people. If your mum isn't comfortable insisting on an alternative, Perhaps your Mum should call them, and say you have permission to speak about her booking, then hand the phone to you. Unfortunately even the cleanest hotels have been known to suffer from such bugs due to irresponsible travellers who don't know good hygiene.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
10,846 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Winter vomiting bug, diarrhoea and sickness in resort now

I'm here now and not heard of any sickness bug going round.

Visited a few hotels over the past few days as I've been getting prices for next new year and not seen any notices in the doors or anything.

6. Re: Winter vomiting bug, diarrhoea and sickness in resort now

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 January 2017, 21:35

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Winter vomiting bug, diarrhoea and sickness in resort now

Which hotel is she meant to be staying at? Maybe someone staying there could advise if there is a bug or not and how bad it is

essex
Level Contributor
2,242 posts
1,470 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Winter vomiting bug, diarrhoea and sickness in resort now

The big problem is the air on the plane..if one person has the virus..half the plane will have it by the time it lands

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
3,209 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Winter vomiting bug, diarrhoea and sickness in resort now

agree bigbarry ,though normally there is 180-220 or so folk on a plane , surely they didn't all go to the same hotel , then the bug would be all over the island , unless it was a package holiday perhaps ?

there has been outbreaks / vomiting bug in Costa Teguise , and Playa Blanca ,in Lanzarote , though pretty sure its been and gone , as heard nothing lately

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
4,051 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Winter vomiting bug, diarrhoea and sickness in resort now

I went to Lanzarote on Jan 2 and the day after Mrs A started (and still is coughing) and probably got it off the plane for reason pre mentioned.

Also as others say Playa Blanca has had a bug problem although I saw and heard nothing whilst I was there.

Its amazing how many times you see people in places that they are not used to omitting to take the basic precautions re hygene. Some hotels have antiseptic hand gel at the door of the buffet restaurant but many walk straight past thinking its hair gel.

Reply to: Winter vomiting bug, diarrhoea and sickness in resort now
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted