We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Alamein - battlefield tours ?!

London
Level Contributor
7 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
El Alamein - battlefield tours ?!

I am quite bemused at how little there is on the battlefields around El Alamein. From what I gather -

1) The WW2 battles around El Alamein were seen as a major turning point in the second world war.

2) Some of the battle sites have been preserved and there are still tanks and field artillery lying around.

And in referring to the battle fields I am not just talking about the El Alamein museum and cemeteries. I have been to visit these sites and although they are worth the visit I am sure there is more to the story!

My problem is that I can not find any guides of companies to take me to these sites. There is a British company and although he does this he is based in the UK and this sort of planning requires advance notice (and quite an expense I would imagine).

Somebody else has told me that a permit is required to visit these areas and that this takes upto 1 month.

Anybody have comments / or anything to add about this?

I am actually in Egypt now with a few days to kill and it is a pity that this massive gap in the market has been ignored.

Mr P

Mentioned in this post
El Alamein
El Alamein
Matrouh Governorate, Egypt
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
6,035 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El Alamein - battlefield tours ?!

I was at the museum and cemeteries at El Alamein a few years ago. If I remember correctly, we were told that the battlefields have never been completely cleared and there are still unexploded mines in the area.

Mentioned in this post
El Alamein
El Alamein
Matrouh Governorate, Egypt
Eastbourne, United...
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: El Alamein - battlefield tours ?!

I believe egyptian-sahara do these tours

3. Re: El Alamein - battlefield tours ?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 03:18
Get answers to your questions about El Alamein