We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat Trip or Hire - Help

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Boat Trip or Hire - Help

Hi,

My wife and I have booked up for 4 days in Kalamaki in August this year.

My wife is really keen to see turtles while we are there so we will likely hire a pedalo one day. I was thinking it would be nice to either go on a boat trip or hire a small boat (one where you do not require a license) for a half a day and head over to turtle island.

I know from reading online that no company's run this kind of thing straight out of Kalamaki due to the turtles. Can anyone recommend a boat hire company or a good company near Kalamaki to go a trip with?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Kalamaki
Kalamaki
Zakynthos, Greece
8 replies to this topic
England, United...
Destination Expert
for Argassi, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
4,080 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boat Trip or Hire - Help

The nesting season will have ended by August so most of the females will have left or be ready to leave the area by then. You'd have just as much chance of seeing one from a pedalo (possibly more so). Turtle island isn't necessarily the best place to see them. It's known as turtle island because of its shape, not because it's somewhere turtle particarly congregate.

You might stand a chance of seeing a very early hatching around a full moon at the end of August if you're there at the right time & you can get on the beach at night.

Milton Keynes...
Destination Expert
for Argassi
Level Contributor
5,507 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boat Trip or Hire - Help

For boat hire check out Peter of Zante tours new website.You are picked up and taken to Keri port and given tuition on how to operate the boat.Some lovely places to go to and not just Marathonisi (turtle island).Boats have trackers and radios for peace of mind.Its a great day or half day out.

Mentioned in this post
Zante
Zante
60 Reviews
Zakynthos, Greece
Marathonisi (Turtle Island)
Marathonisi (Turtle...
2,224 Reviews
Zakynthos, Greece
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Boat Trip or Hire - Help

Have you got a link to the new website for Peters Tours please, Google is not my friend !!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boat Trip or Hire - Help

Hi mate, along kalamki strips there’s loads of hire places you can look at, all prices are different so shop around. But on the day trips or half day please expect the mad rush on boat to get seats as lot of Italians Russians Swedish people will be on board.

I would recommend to hire your own boat for 4 hours which isn’t too bad on money (€) you will have your own free time and stop off in middle of the ocean time to relax and enjoy your lunch and few beers or so. There is an ice box on hire boat and you will make stop off to get some ice and food.

Hope this helps

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boat Trip or Hire - Help

Thanks everyone for your input. Very helpful. I think hiring a boat for a half day is the way to go, so will look into this.

From what I am reading turtle island isn't great for actually seeing turtles. Is there any specific areas that the middle to end of August seems best for seeing them?

Thanks again

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Argassi, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
4,080 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boat Trip or Hire - Help

You'd probably stand just as much chance from a pedalo of Kalamaki beach. If you should spot one don't attract other people's attention or you'll find you're swamped by the tour boats.

If you're on an organised "turtle spotting boat" you're unlikely to see much in high season. The boats are crowded & if they find a turtle everyone charges to the side of the boat with a lot of uncomfortable pushing & shoving. Other boats in the area then congregate & hassle the turtle frightening it away.

There's a full moon on August 26th if you're there then you stand a good chance of seeing a nest hatching on the beach. Access at night is restricted by the turtle protection organisations, although controlled access is allowed. Speak to the Archalon people that are on the beach most days. The baby turtles hatch, dig their way out & make their way to the sea at night around the full moon cycle.

Mentioned in this post
Kalamaki Beach
Kalamaki Beach
2,524 Reviews
Zakynthos, Greece
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boat Trip or Hire - Help

Excellent sylvnles, thank you. We are in Kalamaki from 23rd - 27th August so might be an option to visit the beach at full moon on 26th if this is ok with the turtle protection organisations.

Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Kalamaki
Kalamaki
Zakynthos, Greece
York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
12 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boat Trip or Hire - Help

The big blue motor rentals. Keri. We hired a boat from these for a day, €100 plus fuel. Never saw a turtle but the boat was excellent. Worth every cent!

Reply to: Boat Trip or Hire - Help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kalamaki
Recent Conversations