We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rocky mountaineer

malaysia
Level Contributor
704 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
Rocky mountaineer

Hi, we are a family of 5 planning to visit CR in late august to early sept 2011. We are arrivng at and leaving from vancouver. We would like to consider the rocky mountaineer train journey as well as driving on the return journey. Vancouver to banff by train then driving to Jasper and back to vancouver by car. But I notice the one way car return on Avis is double the price if the car is returned to the same location as pick up.

Any suggestion?

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,285 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rocky mountaineer

G'day anaest,

One thing you could seriously consider is hiring a car in Vancouver and doing a loop through the Rockies. IMO the Rocky Mountaineer, while probably a great experience, is in luxury class for travel cost and most of the same or similar scenery can be seen from a self drive, with the added advantages of being able to plan your own routes, stop where you want to, and at far less cost. There would be no drop-off fee for a round trip.

Otherwise you should shop around between car rental companies to see who has the lowest one-way drop-off fees.

Just my thoughts.

Canmore, Alberta
Destination Expert
for Canmore
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rocky mountaineer

I agree with Frommy, for the 5 of you the Rocky Mountaineer is going to cost a small fortune. You would be able to rent a vehicle and do the entire round trip back to Vancouver for less money than what the train trip will cost.

Otherwise, I don't know if there is anyway to get around the high cost of the one way drop off fee. The best you can do is research through all the car rental companies and see who is the cheapest.

Cheers

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,094 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rocky mountaineer

Because Calgary-Banff-Vancouver (and vice versa) is a very popular route, you may be able to find a rental company which will waive the drop-off fee in the busy summer season. Other TA members have noted that the trick is to do your homework by contacting the various rental companies, and also to be prepared to book quite far in advance.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,525 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rocky mountaineer

hotwire.com

will now quote one way rentals. Their car rentals are from the major car firms.

malaysia
Level Contributor
704 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rocky mountaineer

Thank you so much. Yes I think we will stick to the round trip by ourselves since the scenary is about the same.

Roxby Downs...
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rocky mountaineer

We have just travelled the Rocky Mountaineer from Van to Banff. Golf Leaf. To be fair it was a lovely trip (2 days) but I would hire a comfortable car in Vancouver and drive the round trip. Save yourself a lot of money. The road follows the train line all the way (sometime on the other side of the valley). In a car you can obviously stop in any place you wish to take pictures but on the train they slow down but that's it. There are also a lot of trees blocking your view so again stopping where the trees part would be an advantage. We then drove from Banff to Lake Louise then up to Jasper along the Icefield Highway. This is an amazing drive and plenty to see. You do need to love scenery, waterfalls, mountain vistas and the like. We do!!! And the chance to get a photo of a Grizzly and Brown Bear is always there. We managed both. If you are elderly or have trouble driving then the train is the go. There were mostly older people on the train. Good points: food was great, scenery was beautiful, staff were knowledgable and friendly, and you get to meet other travellers (share experiences). Hope this helps? Good luck.

Canmore, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rocky mountaineer

Every year I hope that THIS will be the year I will magically win a free trip on the Rocky Mountaineer. It hasn't happened yet, and there is no way I could justify the cost of the ticket (no matter how much we love trains).

I agree on renting the car and doing the loop on your own. There are so many lovely places to stop ... mountains, wineries, wildlife, lakes, etc.

8. Re: Rocky mountaineer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2011, 08:04
malaysia
Level Contributor
704 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rocky mountaineer

Hi, thank you so much. Very interesting article. What a holiday. Hopefullt we can do the same trip next time when we can afford it more. This time we will just stick to the self drive option. By the way, Asians are more with the americans i think, two weeks from work is a luxury!!

Birmingham
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rocky mountaineer

Hello we are planning a rocky mountaineer and alaskan cruise in summer 2012. I will be taking my 5 and 10 year old with me.

I am looking at two options - taking the Rocky mountaineer from Jasper to Vancouver - expensive but more importantly does it suit a 5 year old to be in the train for two full days?

Or

VIA RAIL - in reverse from Vancouver to Jasper. We travel by night (less child minding) and an extra day to spend in Jasper. Also I think we reach kamploops around 6.30 am so we get to see the scenery from Kamloops to Jasper by day.

Not sure about driving as has have a bad back and it does seem like a very long drive.

Thanks