We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beginners Guide to the White Moutains

UK
10 posts
Save Topic
Beginners Guide to the White Moutains

Hello,

My husband and I are doing a road trip and are thinking of spending a few days at Cape Cod and then a few days in the White Mountains.

We would love to stay somewhere really rural where you are looking out at the forests or something with a great view. We are coming over from England so we can't bring very much gear like sleeping bags etc so it has to be somewhere with some amenities. We would love to see some wildlife so any advice on where to do to see some animals you don't see at home. We like hiking so any good 7 - 10 mile walks that are unmissable would be greatly appriciated.

The dates we are looking at are around the 1st May for a few days. I have also heard a little about Black Flies - are they going to be a problem for us?

Any other trips advice would be much appricated. I have been struggling to know where to begin!

Thanks in advance, Kirstie

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beginners Guide to the White Moutains

Kirstie, can you share a bit of your hiking experience, and when you say a 7-10 mile hike, how much change in elevation would you be prepared for? There are many great hikes, some in the Presidential Range, another, the Franconia Ridge -- a loop from Lafayette to Lincoln, Little Haystack, -- these are rigorous hikes that should only be undertaken by fit, experienced and prepared hikers. There are others that are less challenging too. If you can get your hands on a copy of the Appalachian Mountain Club's "Best Day Hikes in the White Mountains", that has quite a few good day hike, most not challenging.

You might also visit the AMC's web site, outdoors.org where the forum members are most helpful.

You can also rent hiking gear from Eastern Mountain Sports.

I'll let others address bears, moose and great little places to stay. Bear and moose always hide from me.

Oh, black flies. they are a nuisance. I recommend "Jungle Juice". They're worst on windless days in the woods, but if you keep moving, and use bug spray, you'll be fine.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,177 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beginners Guide to the White Moutains

Since the summer season won't have started yet you may find "reasonable" prices at the Mt Wash Hotel. It has the views to die for but it is not cheap. Otherwise, budget always helps when asking about lodging. You will get a broader idea of what is available if you check out the lodging pages.

La Crosse, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
27 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beginners Guide to the White Moutains

If you are looking for a listing of hiking trails, check out hikenewengland.com. This website is great for detailing many different trails in the New England states. It even describes length of time needed to do the hike, what attractions are on the trails, and relative difficulty of each hike. Please do go prepared when hiking. Wear appropriate shoes, tell someone of your plans, and bring along plenty of water and snacks, depending on how long you will be out. The weather can change rapidly in the mountains, so be prepared with rain gear as well!

4. Re: Beginners Guide to the White Moutains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 03:17